; four

S A M

"Who's Wendy Peffercorn?" Sam asked. Everyone's jaw dropped, except Benny's.

"You don't know who she is?" Squints gaped. Sam shook her head. He, along with the rest of the boys, must've forgotten already that she was an orphan and that she really didn't know anybody. "She's the hottest babe in the valley!"

"Yeah!" DeNunez agreed. "She has blonde hair, and either green or blue eyes. She's hot!"

"Okay so...you guys think that I can find my family, if I meet this Wendy Peffercorn?" Sam asked. Yeah, her parents gave up her up for adoption but she's would still like to at least meet them once. Everyone agreed. "Okay, so where can I find her?"

"She works at the pool." Bertram answered.

"Alright then. I'll go by later."

"Anyways! This pop isn't working, Benny. I'm baking like a toasted cheeser! It's so hot here!" Ham complained. It was hot. Sam was starting to sweat and the sun started to burn her skin.

"It's one hundred fifty degrees out there. You can't play baseball." Squints pointed out. "You have to call it for the day."

"You gotta listen to him, Benny." Bertram said before taking a swig of his pop.

"Vote then." Benny snapped. "Anyone who wants to be...a 'can't hack it' pantywaist...who wears their mama's bra, raise your hand."

Everyone raised their hands, except Sam. They all looked at her.

"What? I already wear a bra, thank you very much. But," She turned to Benny. "It would be nice to do something for a change. No offense, but watching you guys play baseball all day everyday gets pretty boring sometimes."

"Fine, fine, fine! Be like that. So what are we gonna do?"

Yeah-Yeah started laughing creepily while glancing at everyone.

"SCAM POOL HONEYS!" The boys chorused. Sam rolled her eyes. At least Sam wasn't going to go the pool alone to talk to Wendy Peffercorn.

S M A L L S

Benny would've played ball all day, all night, rain, shine, tidal wave, whatever. Baseball was the only thing he cared about. Well not the only thing, of course there was Sam. But of all the things we ever did besides baseball-and him swoonin' over Sam-going to the pool was what he tolerated best. Even though none of us had ever seen a Playboy magazine, which we constantly lied about, we figured going to the pool was the next big thing to being there.