; fifteen

S A M

Sam jumped slightly, startled when she felt a ball hit her right foot. Sam gave her friend Charlie a finger, signaling her to stop talking for a second, before bending down and grasping the ball in her hand. Sam bended back up and Charlie's eyes noticed the ball.

"A ball!" Charlie gasped. "Where'd ya get it?"

Sam shrugged. "It hit my foot." Then she smiled. "But, now we have a ball to play with when we practice!"

"Yeah!" Charlie lifted her hand up for a high five and Sam slapped her hand with hers.

Suddenly the bell rang, and Sam grasped Charlie's hand. "We're gonna be late!" Sam exclaimed and they both ran to their class.

B E N N Y

"Did you see that, Benny?" Yeah-Yeah angrily huffed. "She took my ball!"

"Don't worry 'bout it Yeah-Yeah." Benny muttered as Sam's figure disappeared around the corner. "You can get a new one."

Benny was surprised, confused, but also happy to see her. He couldn't get how Sam was in school with him when she couldn't know how to read or write. But frankly, Benny didn't care right when he thought about that. He needed to talk to her.

"Fine," Yeah-Yeah gave up and started to walk to class with Benny and the rest of the boys. When they all got there, they met Phillips and the rest of the school team in front of the class with their arms crossed in front of their chests.

"What's wrong?" Benny asked. He looked behind Luke and saw Sam and her friend sitting in the two seats that was in the front of the classroom.

"She," Phillips pointed to Sam. "and her friend doesn't want to get out of our seat."

Sam huffed and leaned back in the chair, glaring at Luke. "I don't see the problem. These chairs don't have ya' names on it."

"But this whole class knows, that these two chairs belong to me and Benny." Luke snapped. "And what are ya doing here anyways, orphan? Preschool, is right down the street."

The class quietly laughed.

"First of all, it's 'Benny and I'." The class 'oohed'. "And I'm here, doing the same thing ya' guys are here for." Sam's glare turned into a smirk. "I'm also surprised to see you here with those rejects and sissies."

The boys behind Benny started to murmur and move forward but he pushed them back, his eyes never leaving Sam.

"Ya' think you're so clever, huh? Well, I challenge you, to a baseball game. Tomorrow, after school at four." He smirked.

The whole class goes quiet and the boys and Benny shared a look. They knew that Sam didn't know how to play baseball, they also knew that Phillips knew that too.

"Alright," Sam kept smirking and her blue eyes twinkled with amusement. "Challenge accepted. Prepare to eat. My. Dust."

The class 'oohed' and Phillip's jaw clenched. He trudged to the back of the room and Benny followed him to the back of the room as the rest took their seats.

Bertram followed Benny while the rest of the sandlot boys left the classroom to go to their class. Benny and Bertram were in the same grade, 10th. Since the other boys were younger, they were in lower grades.

The school that they attended was big, and the classes they had went from kindergarten, to 12th grade.

S A M

"Sam, are you crazy?" Charlie hissed to Sam as everyone took their seats.

"Do you really think I was going to humiliate the both of us in front of the whole class?" Sam asked as she leaned back in her seat.

"No, but we're going to get humiliated in front of the whole school!" Charlie said loudly and some students around her gave her weird looks. She lowered her voice. "Ya' know word spreads fast around here."

"I know, but we have to do this!"

"We're girls, Sam. They're guys. They're stronger and better than us. Girls can't do anything."

Sam couldn't believe what she was hearing. The same message she heard two years ago.

"Yes we can and no they're not!" Sam snapped and Charlie flinched. Sam took a deep breath."Sorry, it's just-you know I have a past with people saying that to me. We need to do this. Please?"

Charlie let out a long breath. "Fine, I'll go tell the rest of the girls."

Sam smiled a toothy grin.

3:00 P.M.

"Are we really gonna do this?" Juliet, a girl in Sam's team, asked as she walked into the sandlot with Sam and the rest of the team.

With Sam and Charlie, the group of girls that had made nine. A whole team but with no extras for replacement. They were good, but no one has seen us play before.

The sandlot boys stopped using the sandlot, about a year after Benny and Sam broke up, and Sam decided to use the empty lot to practice with her team.

"Yes! How many times am I going to say this?" Sam rolled my eyes and gripped the bat in her hand tighter.

"Sam, I'm not sure we can do this..." Zoey, another girl in the team, quietly said.

Sam abruptly stopped and turned to the girls. They stopped as well as they looked at her. "What's the big deal if they're boys. Yeah, they might be bigger and stronger but we can do anything they can do! We just need to work our buts off to kick ass tomorrow! We are going to win, understood?"

"Yes!" They chorused, and Sam could see that they were gaining confidence. They needed more and for that, Sam had to keep convincing them that they could play baseball as good as the boys could.

Sam had the best feeling in her gut that she, along with her team, were gonna show those boys not to mess with them ever again.

charlie is going to be another main character and i vision her as rowan blanchard. and yes it's because rowan and sabrina are best friends in real life.