; twenty

S A M

"Samantha!" Marcia greeted and smiled when she opened the door. Sam smiled back and rocked back and forth on the balls of her feet. School was done for the day and Sam headed over to Marcia's house to pick up her little brother, Jacob.

"Hey, uh, I'm here to ask you a favor?" Sam asked, nervously playing with my fingernails. On way to Marcia's house, Sam remembered about her 'date' with Benny. She couldn't take Jacob with her and she wasn't going to ask Wendy to watch over him.

"Sure, anything!"

"Is it okay if I leave Jacob here for a while longer? I'm going out, but if you can't it's fine! I'll—"

"It's okay, Samantha! I'm sure Zoey would love to be with Jacob!"

Sam huffed out a breath that she didn't even know she was holding. "Thank you so much, Marcia. You're a lifesaver!"

"You're welcome, sweetheart. Hey, there's Zoey now!" Sam turned her head and saw Zoey walking up to the house with Charlie by her side. Sam bit her lip, knowing she still needed to talk to her. Sam's thoughts got cut off when small arms wrapped around her legs.

"Sammy!" A squeaky voice cheered. Sam bent down and lifted Jacob up into her arms. He wraps his arms around Sam's neck and hugs his big sister tightly. Sam squeezed his little body softly. "Miss you!"

"I missed you too, Jay." Sam leaned her head back a little and placed a kiss on Jacob's nose. He giggled. "Listen, you're going to be here for a little while longer." His bottom lip jutted out in a pout. "Hey, happy face! Zoey is going to be with you and so is —"

"CHARLIE!" Jacob wriggled out of Sam's arms and ran to Charlie. Sam shook her head, amused, as she watch her little brother. Sam sweared he had a crush on her. He was always close to her when she was around and he blushed when Charlie kissed his cheek or complimented him.

Sam sighed and placed her hands on her hips, when Jacob latched onto Zoey's leg. She then looked around Marcia and saw that the clock inside her house read that it was almost four.

"Well, I must be going. Thanks again, Marcia. I won't be long." Sam jumped down her steps and started heading down the street.

"Take as long as you want!" Marcia called after Sam. "But not too long!" Sam looked over her shoulder and laughed before giving her a thumbs-up.

Sam smoothed down her dress before running a hand through her hair as she stood in front of the mirror. The dress she was wearing was blue with white stripes. Sam had paired the dress with white converse and some necklaces, then her outfit was complete.

As Sam started at herself in the mirror, she sighed, nervous about what would happen with Benny. Two years has passed without either of them seeing each other and Sam was afraid that it would be very awkward between them, especially since they became 'rivals' when they saw each other for the first time in school.

Sam checked the clock hanging on her wall and She noticed that it was four fourty. I have to get going, Sam thought while she picked up  up a small white bag that had her keys and some money before walking out of her room. As Sam walked passed the living room to go out the door, she heard someone clearing their throat. Sam crossed her arms and turned to where the sound came from; she knew who it was.