Chapter one: Back to my old life

Mom: "Are you really sure that you want to go back to your old school?"

I think I've heard this question at least fifty times this week. Today is the start of a new school year. The last year of high school for me. The last four years I've been to a school for blind people and now I'm ready to go back to my own school. 

You: "Mom I want to go back. I want to spend my last year of high school with my friends. Besides I'm leaving in five minutes so no point in turning back now."

Dad: "I'm really proud of you Y/N that you made this decision. You worked really hard the last four years."

He's right... I've worked very hard to become less dependent on people because of my disability. I learned how to read and write braille. I also learned how to use a cane and how I need to move around. 

Mom: "But what if you get lost?"

You: "I can figure it out mom. I'm not the only person that's there. I can ask someone for help and my friends are also around."

Mom: "You're right... I'm exaggerating."

Dad: "Did you pack everything sweetheart? Your cane? Your daisy player? Lunch? Money? Water? Your phone?"

You: "Yes dad. I have everything with me that I need."

My parents are clearly a bit more worried today. Making sure I have everything and that I'm ready to go. Suddenly the doorbell rang. It startled me for a second but the feeling faded away quickly. 

You: "That must be Onda and Aisha."

Dad: "I'll let them in."

I heard my dad walking away, heading to the front door. Soon voices filled the hallway. I could immediately recognize their voices, but I already knew it would be them. Shortly after everyone entered the living room. First, they said a good morning to my mom before they came over to me. I felt an arm tangling around mine. When she spoke, I knew it was Onda.

Onda: "Y/N! It's so good to see you again in our school uniform."

Aisha: "We're so happy that you're going to school again with us."

You: "Me too! I can't wait to begin."

Onda: "We should go now. We still need to get your code for your locker."

Mom: "Take care of her please. If there's anything wrong call me immediately."

Aisha: "Don't worry, we will take good care of her as always. She's in safe hands with us."

Dad: "You're sure that you can bring her home as well after school right? I can always try to leave my work a little earlier to pick you back up."

Onda: "You really don't need to. We live close by so we can always pick her up and walk her back home."

You: "We really need to go now. Don't stress too much about me alright? I will be alright. Focus on your work today."

Aisha: "I'll carry your backpack Y/N."

+

We were walking outside, on the side of the street. Onda was holding my left arm and walked on my left side. I could feel the sunshine on my face. It's a nice feeling. Outside I always wear sunglasses. I wear sunglasses because the light outside is much brighter than inside. I always hide my eyes in public because I feel more confident that way.