Chapter 04 | The Youngest Maximoff

__

PETER PARKER

__

I sat down at lunch with Ned, waiting for MJ to arrive to sit with us.

"Have you seen Y/n yet?" Ned asked.

I nodded.

"Yeah, I showed her to the office," I said, picking up a carrot stick.

Ned gasped.

"Did she remember you?" he asked.

I nodded and he smacked me excitedly. I dropped my carrot at the sudden impact but caught it at the last second.

"Bro, I think you've got a chance," Ned said.

I laughed.

"Because she has a good memory?" I asked. "I doubt it."

"MJ is showing Y/n around, right?" Ned asked. "Maybe she'll sit with us!"

I shook my head.

"I doubt it," I said again. "She's famous, so she'll be popular. She'll probably sit with Liz's old friends, or with Flash."

Ned shook his head in disappointment. I felt my senses tingle and I looked up and locked eyes with Y/n Maximoff, who had just entered the room with MJ. They were talking to each other, and when she realised she had my attention, she gave me a little wave. I waved back in disbelief and she turned to MJ again. They collected their lunch and then sat across from us. Ned nudged me and I suppressed a groan.

"Hi, I'm Ned," Ned said.

Y/n smiled.

"Y/n," she said.

There was a moment of silence before Ned started speaking again.

"Is that a Star Wars shirt?" he asked.

Y/n looked down at her shirt and nodded.

"Yeah," she said.

"Have you seen them all?" Ned asked excitedly.

Y/n laughed awkwardly and shook her head.

"I stole this from my brother, actually," she said. "He likes them."

"You haven't seen Star Wars?" I asked incredulously. "That needs to change."

Y/n grinned at me.

"Are you suggesting a movie marathon, Parker?" she asked.

I shrugged and nodded.

"Ned and I usually have one every month," I said. "So... whenever you're free, I guess."

After I'd said it, it sounded lame. A Star Wars marathon? What a nerd. She probably thought I was uncool. Which I was.

"I feel like Pietro would like you," she said. "And I'd love to go."

She smiled at me and I smiled back. I was enjoying the moment before Ned interrupted it.

"So you live at the Avengers' Tower, right?" he asked excitedly. "I mean, you get to see the Avengers every day!"

Y/n laughed.

"Yeah, I guess," she said. "They're all annoying. Especially Pietro."

We all laughed.

"Don't like your brother, huh?" MJ asked.

Y/n chuckled and shook her head.

"Nah, I love him. Tell him, though, and I'll deny it," she said.

MJ grinned at her and Y/n grinned back.

"So, the Avengers act like normal people, right?" Ned asked.

Y/n nodded.

"Yeah. I mean, kind of. I guess they act like normal people... who are superhumans," she said. "Like... being tackled to the floor is a regular occurrence for pretty much everyone. Clint likes to hang out in the vents and Thor loves pop-tarts. Uh... Steve and Tony argue on a daily basis but usually it's just small things. We're... we're like a family, I guess."

Ned nodded at her explanation with a whispered "cool."

"So, do you know Spiderman?" Ned asked.

I kicked him and he kicked me back. Y/n closed her eyes briefly and shook her head.

"Never met him," she said.

For some reason my senses started tingling again. Was she lying? Or was there something else happening? Wait, I'd never met her as Spiderman...

As soon as an apple hit my shoulder, I assumed it was because of something else.

"Sup, Penis Parker," Flash said. He nodded at Y/n. "Hey, babe."

Y/n's nose crinkled in disgust.

"Who are you?" she asked.

"Flash Thompson," he said. "You've probably seen my vlogs, or my Instagram account. I understand why you haven't followed me yet - you're famous, and you don't want the world to assume we're dating."

Flash winked at her and she looked at him in distaste.

"So, why don't you come and sit with me?" Flash suggested. "I'd want to get away from Penis Parker and his loser friends."

Flash laughed and Y/n stood up. My heart sank for a second as I assumed she was going to go with him. Instead, she crossed her arms.

"It's a shame you have to put others down to make yourself feel better," she said. "It's a really bad trait, and you'll have no friends because of it. So stop insulting my friends and leave us alone."

Y/n sat back down and ignored Flash, whose mouth was open in shock.

"So, when's the Star Wars marathon?" Y/n asked.

Flash recognised the clear dismissal and walked away. MJ started cackling with laughter and grinned at Y/n before high-fiving her.

"Thanks for that," I said.

Y/n smiled at me.

"No worries."