Chapter 09 | Spiderman's Soulmate

__

PETER PARKER

__

I tapped my pen against my chin as I solved an equation for my math homework. I got the answer quickly and scribbled it down, completing the homework. Finishing homework gave me such a rush of serotonin. No more stress until next week's load of homework.

I decided to reward myself by going out and buying myself a Delmar's sandwich. I could swing there, but revealing my identity was not high on my to-do list, so I decided to walk. While I walked, I thought about Y/n.

My soulmate. Y/n was my soulmate. I still couldn't wrap my head around it completely. Y/n Maximoff. My soulmate. Sure, it was cool to have a sort-of Avenger as my soulmate, but it was so much more than that. She was funny, she was pretty, she was nice, she was smart... There were just so many things. Her smile lit me up inside and caused an explosion of butterflies. Her laugh was more beautiful than an angel singing, even when she was snorting and gasping for breath. Okay, maybe beautiful wasn't the word for the snorting/gasping for breath laugh, but I still loved it. Everything about her was just amazing.

I arrived at Delmar's Deli a few minutes later, my thoughts still full of Y/n. I walked up to the counter to order my sandwich when a h/c haired girl got there before me. With a jolt, I realised it was the girl who was occupying my thoughts just a moment ago.

"Y/n?" I said.

The girl turned around and smiled when she saw me. As I said before, Y/n's smile lit me up inside and caused an explosion of butterflies. Well, the butterflies were flying so rapidly around my tummy that I couldn't figure out words.

"Hey, Peter," she said brightly. "What are you doing here?"

My brain stopped working and I tried to get it to make words go.

"Sandwich," I said, and then internally face-palmed.

Y/n smiled though, making my anxieties dissipate a bit.

"I shouldn't have asked," she said. "Obvious answer."

I nodded and then shook my head.

"Uh, I could have been getting something else," I said.

Y/n smiled at me again before I started speaking again.

"I - uh... I thought - why are you, um, why are you here?" I asked, cursing myself for being so awkward.

Y/n shrugged and smiled.

"The sandwiches are really good," she said. "Thank you for showing me this place."

My brain stopped working again (I was unsure if it had ever been working in the first place) and I gave her a thumbs up.

"Thank you," I said, before realising that wasn't what I was supposed to say. "I mean - you just said that... you're welcome."

Y/n laughed and smiled at me, her eyes crinkling in the corners. Mr Delmar called her name and she turned around, leaving me smiling at the back of her head. When she collected her sandwich, she said goodbye to me and gave me a wave before leaving the store. I stared after her like a lost puppy.

"Nice one, Parker."

I jumped and turned to look at Mr Delmar. I'd forgotten that it wasn't just me in the store.

"Um, thanks," I muttered. "Can I get the usual please?"

Mr Delmar nodded and got to work making the sandwich. I fiddled with the five dollar note in my hand and sighed. I'd probably ruined my chances with Y/n by being awkward. I mean, who said 'thank you' when you were supposed to say 'you're welcome'?

"Five bucks, Parker," Mr Delmar said.

I handed over the money and Mr Delmar handed over the sandwich.

"You like her, huh?" Mr Delmar said.

My eyes widened and I shook my head quickly.

"No. Absolutely not. She's - she's..."

I couldn't think of anything bad about her, or a reason why I wouldn't like her. She was very likeable. Mr Delmar grinned at me and I sighed and looked down at my shoes.

"Ah, young love," Mr Delmar said. "You know, when she comes in here, we talk about you a bit. Pretty sure she might like you too."

I almost got whiplash from how fast I looked up.

"Really?" I asked.

Mr Delmar nodded, and then used his hands in a shooing motion.

"Now, get outta here," he said. "I've got other customers."

I grinned at him and practically skipped out of the shop, sandwich in hand. I munched on it on the way back to my apartment before putting on my suit and jumping out of the window. I swung around the city until I reached the rooftop where I usually met Storm. She sat on the edge swinging her legs and staring straight ahead.

"Hey, Storm," I said.

She looked up at me and stood up quickly, brushing stones off of herself.

"Hey, Spiderman," she said. "What's up?"

We started talking to each other before patrolling the streets. After a while we ended up sitting on another roof, with me waiting for Karen to notify us with some type of crime, or for my spider-senses to start tingling.

"So..." Storm began. "Have you - have you met your soulmate yet?"

I looked at her with slight curiosity, but decided to answer truthfully. She was my friend, after all.

"Yeah," I said, a smile beginning to stretch over my face as I thought of Y/n. "She's really nice. I'm not sure if she knows though. And I know a few guys who are fawning over her, but she and I are kind of close, so I think things might go well."

Storm was silent for a long while. I turned to look at her to see that she was staring at her hands. She noticed my gaze and cleared her throat.

"Well, this has been fun and all, but - but I have to go now," she said. "See you later."

She jumped off of the building and the wind took her away.

I looked after her in confusion. Why did she have to leave so suddenly?

two chapters today because I love you all <3