Chapter 3.4: the first date

Kiyotaka POV:

Mio and I are currently watching the play of Icarus. There was not a whole lot of people watching, mostly teachers, I wouldn't be surprised if we were the only students.

I had my arm wrapped around my girlfriend, my chokie (Kiyotaka's nickname for Mio) snuggled into my chest. It felt nice and warm, overall, a comfortable and great time.

I started to look around the theater, my counterpart was engrossed into the play. It was quite interesting, she seemed familiar with the work.

I then came into an unpleasant sight, I saw the class weirdo herself, Chabashira-sensei. I would say what a coincidence, but that damned woman has something against me it would seem. All I want to do is live a normal high school life, she just loves to ruin that hope for me. Some weird obsessions with class A it would seem.

"No, sensei, I'm not going to talk with you right now," I stated out loud enough for the teacher next to me to hear, Mio glared at the teacher. Ha, this will teach you for trying to interrupt my peaceful life with Mio-chan.

Chabashira-sensei outwardly sighed, knowing she won't be able to talk with me when my girlfriend is around. It would seem that I managed to divert the drunk for the meantime, usually I would get threatened with expulsion if I was by myself. Now, I've got a witness and she can't do it now.

Maybe I'll have protection from the compass sadist too. Yes, I can just picture it now, I'll finally have someone to defend my honor in class. I might even train Mio so she can show compass witch who's boss.

"Ne, Kiyo-kun," Mio whispered "I am glad you brought me to see my first ever play. Though, what exactly is this play about? I've been watching, but I can't seem to understand it very well."

The blue haired girl pouted as she said that. It seemed she valued the time we spent together and thought of this as fun, noted. Though, I sometimes forget that she mostly known for her brawn and not her academics. Comprehension is a skill picked up in academics, it seemed that she just wasn't able to comprehend this level. This is something to work on later, likely will be done after this exam is finished.

"Well, the main story goes like this..." I started.

"Icarus was the son of a master craftsman named Daedalus. They lived on an island called Crete. The father was held prisoner to work for the king, he was renown genius inventor. Long story short, Daedalus made wings for his son to escape Crete, they both had a set of wings, but it's called the story of Icarus for a reason."

Mio was looking intently at me, I waited for her to say something before I continued.

"Bakakoji! Don't just stop in the middle of it! Why is it called Icarus?" 

A simple, yet effective method to train someone. Gauge them in conversation, especially one that they are engrossed in. So, I continued.

"Their plan was to use the sea to fly across the sea to the other side. So, Daedalus who built these wings warned his son of two things: complacency and Hubris. Why do you think he warned his son of these two?"

Mio seemed to be in deep thought, it seemed she came up with an answer.

"If they are going by the see, if someone got complacent while flying, I suppose they would be at risk for falling into the sea. I'm not sure for hubris, my guess is that flying cockily will lead to somehow crashing?" it was surprising how close Mio was, especially since I left out essential details to the story like the glue and feather. It would seem that my girlfriend has a great amount of potential.

"You are scarily close, everything considered," she smirked at that, I continued "Daedalus told Icarus to fly neither too high or too low. This was because if he flew too low the sea's dampness would clog his wings, while flying too high meant the wax used to hold the wings would melt leading to certain death."

"So, what happened next?" with her face now right up in mine, she was visibly invested into it. Mio must really love stories.

"The both of them started to fly in the sky. Icarus though, he never listened to the warnings of his father. Flying high in the sky, too close to the sun, he fell and drowned in the sea. It was the origin of the phrase 'don't fly too close to the sun.'"

Mio looked a little disappointed at the ending, I can't blame her though. It seems like such a poorly written story, though there are clear examples of it to this day. The people who dared defy the high order like me escaping the white room, I am no exception. I suppose one could see the fall as the end of my school year, when I would eventually be caught.

"That was a stupid story," she said it how it was shown on her face "But, thank you for explaining that to me. I can't stand the fact I am unable to understand a story as simple as that."

"It was not a problem at all, especially since I am your boyfriend after all," I could see her blushing.

"I-idiot..."

We continued to watch the play, Mio commenting on all the details I didn't mention. The calm atmosphere surrounded us as we watched Icarus. I decided to wrap my arms around Mio until we finished up.

We walked out the theater holding hands, because someone really insisted, we did so. As I looked back, it was surprising how many people decided to go see Icarus. I rather avoid the attention if it was possible for the moment, Mio's confession put enough on me as it was. 

"What exactly are you doing?" 

I looked to the voice that was directed to me, it sounded familiar. Oh, it was just Horikita, aka the serial compass, or the compass witch.

"What an unpleasant surprise," it seemed Mio voiced my thoughts for me "we're on a date right now. Isn't that right, Kiyo-kun?"

"W-what? What are you talking about?" 

It seemed that Horikita didn't hear the news. I guess some news just doesn't get around, I wanted to get entertained by her reaction. I guess this would do.

"It seems like I'll just have to spell it out for you. I thought you were smart too." my girlfriend giggled at my insults.

"I'm dating Mio-chan."

Chapter end!

Thank you everyone who wished me happy birthday! I decided to mention it, but every single happy birthday brought a smile to my face. Even my cold heart will warm up once in a while.

Funny thing about this chapter, I was planning on uploading yesterday. I just wasn't able to because I went out to a hibachi grill (which was awesome and would recommend) and had too much to drink and couldn't finish the chapter. I was close to deciding to finish it, then I decided against it when I realized I'm not a good drunk writer.

Have a great day everyone!