8

"My name is George Davidson, a student at the FBI Academy enlisted to help with a case. It's currently eighteen-hundred hours on Thursday the twelfth of October and I am standing directly in front of the Dream Killer," George told the camcorder. He set it on the little chair that Sam had laid out, pressing the second microphone to one of Dream's air holes.

"Are you finished?" Clay rolled his eyes lazily. 

"I am now," George said irritably. He was not in the mood for Clay's lack of manners.

"Wow, you're feisty today. Did poor Georgie not have a coffee this morning? I'd give you mine, but sadly I live in this hellhole and have no means of getting one," Clay said sadly. Wait, no, there puppy-dog eyes! Dream was back.

"You did that to yourself. I am not at all in the mood for games today, Clay. I will call Captain Puffy in here to curb stomp you, don't try me," He warned.

"Oh, Puffball won't do shit," Clay smirked to himself.

"Wanna test that theory, Terracotta?" George snapped. Clay stared at him for a second before spluttering into laughter. To George, it was a sound that closely resembled the kettle back home in England.

"Terra- Terracotta!" Clay wheezed. "That's a new one! You better pass that onto your FBI friends, I like that one."

"I don't care what you like. You've interrupted my life with your bullshit, so you're going to make it worth my while, got it?" George deadpanned. Clay raised his eyebrows but nodded.

"Tell me, why is it such a hassle to come and see me? I thought you liked talking to me, you seemed to back in June..." Clay's words teetered off as he met George's murderous glare. If looks could kill... George recovered himself, shaking his head and shoving the conversation back on track.

"What is Sapnap's full name?"

"Nicholas Sapant."

"And you know each other, how?"

"Old friends from high school."

"Have you spent enough time around him to know his kill pattern?" George was in full interrogation mode. He could almost see Captain Puffy's approving nod from the other room.

"He likes to go from state to state. He started in Washington DC and last time the papers covered him, they said the body was found in Phoenix. He'll kill once, maybe twice then move on."

"Motives?" George was going full-speed ahead, scribbling down everything Clay said.

"None of notice. He kills for the sake of killing. Gives him adrenaline, I think."

"Any idea where he might be going next?"

"Tell me what state you last got a read on him in and I'll tell you," Clay pondered, picking at his fingernails. George thought about it for a second. What could Dream do with that kind of information? 'Nothing much' was the conclusion that George came to.

"He was last seen in Utah coming from Arizona two weeks ago," George replied.

"So he was in Phoenix, interesting," Clay mused. "He told me he was gonna go around the country like a snake. Start in Washington, head to Oregon. Finish up in Oregon, go to Nevada. From there, California, then Arizona, then Utah. I'd expect he'd be in Idaho by now, maybe even Montana. He wants to be the first mass murderer with at least one kill in every state of America. You have about a nine-day window of opportunity in each state. That checks out with everything else you've got, right, agent?" Clay smiled innocently, cocking his head at the Brit.

"Mmm..." George hummed in reply, still trying to get down everything. Nine-day window... The timeframe was oddly specific. "You know all of this how?"

"As I said, old friends. We had plans. We were gonna go on a road trip, murder together as a duo, but we got caught up with Wi- someone else's coven of killers," Dream fumbled. George's eyes widened at this, turning the page and heading it 'New Person?'