23

"It's just your bloody floor," George snapped. "It's really cold."

"It's concrete, what do you expect?" Dream snapped back.

"Well, there's a perfectly good mattress over there!" The brunette shouted, gesturing. Dream stiffened.

"That mattress was used by someone who was very ill. It might be contaminated, and I can't let that happen to you. I won't hurt you."

"That's what you said about shooting me but, oh well, look at us now!" George yelled, getting angry now.

"Do not compare that to this," Dream said, his tone dangerously low. The voice was so deep George took a metaphorical step back. What had happened on that mattress?

"I wasn't," George said defensively. Dream relaxed a little.

"I'm sorry, I lost myself," he said, moving to sit in front of George. The Brit turned his head slightly, the fear he felt around Dream returning. Sensing the fright, Clay shifted closer.

"Hey, you don't have to be scared of me anymore," Clay smiled, laying a hand on George's thigh. "I will let no harm come to you."

"You're lying," the brunette whispered.

"I'm not," Clay frowned.

"Tell me why you got defensive over a mattress then," George pushed. Dream rolled his eyes.

"It's always something with you, isn't it?" He sighed, exasperated. "I had someone in here before I was arrested, someone... someone I loved. He contracted pneumonia somehow. I lost him, and got shoved into a cell to boot." George took the blonde's hand, rubbing it with the pad of his thumb as Dream finished speaking.

"I'm sorry, Clay," he whispered.

"It's okay. I have you now," Clay whispered back, giving the brunette a small smile. George returned it, finding that holding the hand of a killer wasn't as bad as he thought it would be.

"I'm not going anywhere," George promised. That... That wasn't necessarily true. Unless it was and George was trying to suppress his feelings. At this point, who knew?

"You know, Fundy said the same thing," Clay chuckled. The two once again fell into silence, each with different questions running around their minds. George was the first to speak.

"How did you know?"

"Know what, love?" Clay questioned. 

"About Devon."

"Oh, that! Did your sister Katherine like her gift from me?" Dream asked, laughing. 

"As a matter of fact, she did," George informed him. Clay winked.

"I thought she would."

"How did you know?" The Brit repeated. 

"I have people on the inside, George. People you would never expect," Dream replied. George's mind flew to who the blonde could be talking about. His cousins? Uncle Richard? ...Nana Peg? The old woman had pretty much predicted the brunette's feelings for Dream. It was plausible.

"Tell me you didn't pay off my Nana."

"Alright, I didn't pay off your Nana."

"Dream!"

"I didn't pay her! Not money, anyway. I offered her that ticket to Hawaii she'd been wanting."

"Oh, come on!" The brunette threw his hands up in annoyance, remembering the conversation he'd had. Ever the mind-reader;

"I didn't know that you thought of me that way, George," Clay teased. 

"Harrumph," the Brit sighed.

"If you like me so much, why do you pull away when I kiss you?"