14

Kate and Jennifer slept in George's room that night. Most of the family members had migrated out of the house after the scene was caused, trying not to stare as Katherine cried into Kayla's shoulder. George and his mother had stayed inside, comforting the distraught, cheated-on woman to the best of their abilities. Nothing was enough, though, and for good reason! Kathy did nothing but cry and look up Virginian house listings. George pointed out the ones near the Academy while Kate sobbed to the screen. Jennifer was not helping the matter.

"Mummy, why are you crying? Don't cry!" And she'd shove some form of stuffed animal in front of her mother's face. It would only make poor Katherine cry harder and George ended up having to take the child into the other room to entertain her. In the events of the day, everyone had sort of forgotten to crowd around George. Was he a terrible person for being grateful for that? As per usual when it came to these things, Nana Peg was the exception to the rule.

"Sit!" She had screeched when George began following Jenny around the house. George rolled his eyes.

"Nana, please. I'm fine, really. It was months ago, it barely even hurts now," George lied. It did still hurt quite a bit, but only when someone touched it.

"I don't care, sit down. Now," she pointed firmly at the sofa.

"C'mon, Jen. Bring your toy up here, eh?" George told the five-year-old and, as per Nana Peg's request, sat. Once again, he felt like a puppy being trained.

"You're hung up on someone, aren't you?" Nana Peg said casually, plonking down next to her grandson.

"Nana!"

"Oh come on, you think I don't know these things? I was a bo- girl once too! Who's the lucky fella?" Nana Peg wondered.

"There isn't one! Nana Peg, please stop."

"Uh-uh!" She snapped her fingers to emphasize her words. "I heard you telling our Katie about your little fancy-man! I didn't stick around to hear you say who he was though."

"Even Kate doesn't know exactly who it is..." That was another lie. He'd said the killer's name at least once during the conversation.

"Bullshit!" Hearing that word come out of his grandmother's mouth was not unfamiliar. She swore like a sailor when George's mother wasn't around. Speak of the devil, "Tell me or I'll tell your mum."

That was probably worst threat that Nana Peg had ever made. If she told Mum, that would mean that he'd have to explain himself. One, for why he was still gay and two, who the guy was. George shook his head, conflicted.

"Nana! Fine, his name is Clay and he's from Florida," George replied, not giving away too much.

"He's not that son of a bitch that shot you, is he?" NANA PEG, WHAT!?

"No! Nana, not all Floridians are serial murderers!" George covered quickly.

"... I bet Texans are, though..."

"Noted, Nana," George said tiredly.

____________________________________

"Margot! Is that your phone?"

"No, is it Brendan's?"

"Not my ringtone."

"The contact name is 'Puffy'?"

"Ack- it's mine!" George cried, running to catch the phone that Abbigail frantically threw at him.

"Thanks, Abbi- Hello?"

"Hey, George. Look, I'm sorry to interrupt the New Year's festivities but we need you back in Virginia," Puffy told him. She did not sound happy.

"What?" He spluttered. "Why? I'm not supposed to come back 'till February!"

"I know, but Dream... He restarted his killing spree. The agents in Washington need your help," she explained. "They know that he was speaking to you before the shooting and want to know what he said. And, if you're up to it, they may request your assistance on the case."

"Are you kidding me? Absolutely, I'll talk to Kate about getting plane tickets and-"

"Kate?" Puffy inquired. "I thought you were gay?"

"I am," George had to stop himself from laughing. "She's my sister. Her husband just got done cheating and she's coming to America with me," he explained hastily. "Besides that, I'll be back at the Academy by... Sunday?" It was currently Tuesday. Not too hard, right?

"Good on you, kid. Gotta go, talk to you later," Puffy bid her farewell and the line went dead.

"Oh, Kaaaate," George called, trying to keep the excitement out of his voice.

____________________________________

By Saturday morning, the two (three if you count Jennifer) were packed and ready for Virginia. Kate had phoned in about a rental house she liked and the British pounds had been traded for American dollars. Everything was changing, it seemed... Well, everything except Nana Peg.

"Sit the fuck down, American boy!"

"Kathy, darling, have you had your bank statements transferred yet?"

"George, I swear to God, if you don't sit down I am going to beat you."

"Oh, Katie! Do you want me to take Jen while you get everything sorted? You're taking all this so well, sweetheart. Keep at it."

"GEORGE DAVIDSON, FOR FUCK'S SAKE! I'll pack your fucking bags for you if you don't sit the bloody hell down!"

"Katherine, come here. You're crying. Don't you dare cry over him. He doesn't deserve your time. Think of America as a fresh-start."

"IF I COME AROUND THAT CORNER AND YOUR ASS IS ANYWHERE BUT ON THAT SEAT, SO HELP ME GOD, I WILL FINISH WHAT THAT FLORIDAN COCK-SUCKER STARTED!"

Yeah... that's Nana Peg for you.

____________________________________

Thankfully, by midday, the three were on a plane flying in the direction of Virginia.

"George, what am I gonna do?" Kate asked, her eyes full of fear and anxiety. "I had to quit my job back in Canada! Childcare, food, water, rent! We aren't going to survive here of I do-"

"Katherine, stop. You're stressing yourself out. Breathe," George reminded his sister. "You'll find a job and, if all else fails, I have friends that can help you."

"I do not deserve you," Kate murmured, stroking a sleeping Jennifer's hair. "I berated and degraded you last year. Before you say anything, I said some pretty awful things that I could never take back. I thought you were never going to talk to me again, and now I'm on a plane to Virginia. You're really something."

"I try," George winked. "You need to let that go. I have." Kate leant her head on the brunette's shoulder.

"Thank you..." she whispered.

"You're welcome," he whispered back.

"I love you, Gogs."

"I love you too, Kitty."

____________________________________

Word count: 1086

(forgot to upload lol)

Luna xx