29

Three weeks had passed since George's 'death' and life had gone on as normal. Well, as normal as it can when you're mourning someone.

Surprisingly, I think Kate had taken it the easiest of all who were told. She had taken Jennifer out of the room, sensing bad news. The words had come out of Puffy's mouth and neither woman spoke for a time. Tears ran down both cheeks as they hugged each other.

Tommy had to stay as strong as possible for Tubbo, who was a blubbering mess sitting on the floor. Puffy even knelt by Maisie's grave to let her know. It felt only right.

All of them barely moved when they were given their messages. Tubbo cried harder, Tommy stayed silent, Katherine wiped her cheek. They were all in a sort of shock, not quite registering what had happened.

No one wanted to believe that George was gone.

____________________________________

Meanwhile, George was happier than he'd ever been. Sapnap and Drista had gotten so nosy over the course of a fortnight that Dream and George had locked them out of the house one day. They'd banged on the windows till dusk. Honestly, all they'd wanted to know was whether or not Clay and George were dating. The question was innocent enough. Shutting them out seemed like Sapnap and Drista's answer.

"You want something to eat?" George called from the kitchen.

"Nah," Clay waved his hand dismissively, walking into the room.

"You sure? I haven't seen you eat all day," George frowned, leaning on the bench. It was quarter to five in the evening. How could Clay not be hungry?

"Yeah. They didn't exactly feed me all the time when I was in Pandora's Box, so I kind of developed a hunger tolerance," Dream explained. George flinched. He wanted to forget all about the way Dream was treated when he first met him.

"It's kind of funny, seeing that's how we met," Dream continued as if he'd read his boyfriend's mind. "I met the love of my life in a place I despise."

"I hate that you went through all that," George said, winding his arms around Clay's neck and burying his face in his chest.

"Hey, it's not your fault," Dream said softly, murmuring into George's hair and stroking it gently. "It's in the past now. I shouldn't have even bought it up. I'm sorry."

"No, I am. If you'd asked, I probably could have gotten you out of there," George admitted. It was the last-resort, but the card was on the table.

"You really had the power to do that?" Clay's voice deepened.

"Not directly," the brunette covered. "I knew people on the inside who could have helped you. I could've reached out-"

"Yet you didn't?" Clay interrupted. He stiffened and his hands stopped moving. George had fucked up. How was he to fix this?

"It was going to be a reward..."

"A reward for what? Selling out my friends? You were going to trade my place for Sapnap's."

"No, I..."

"Basement. Now." The blonde let go of the brunette, forcefully shoving him away.

"Clay," George began, laying his hands on Dream's chest, a remorseful frown playing on his features. The killer threw George's hands off his body with a scowl.

"You will call me Dream. Go," the blonde growled. George didn't argue this time, going downstairs without a fight. The door was unlatched and George was thrown inside, hitting the cold concrete with a bruising thud. God, he hadn't missed this.