16

"There's another body," Puffy said as George entered the office. "You're gonna want to sit down for this one." 

With a grave expression on her face, she pulled out a folder not unlike the one Phil had given him four days ago and handed him the contents. This one was a boy no older than nineteen. He was sitting upright in the corner of an alleyway, absolutely covered in blood. The killer had cut the skin of his face in half, leaving the muscles on one side exposed while the other side seemed normal. If you were looking at him from the left side, you wouldn't have known the difference.

"Family members identified him as Eryn Arka. That's not even the worst part, though," Puffy said morosely, giving the brunette yet another photograph. A second note, signed with the easily identified smile. It read;

My darling George, I do hope you're feeling better. I'm so so sorry for shooting you, baby. Old habits die hard. I just couldn't bear to have you on the other side of that glass without me, without protection. A little hypocritical of me to say after what I've done. Please forgive me, baby. I would share with you my location as a symbol of trust, but that would be a little pointless. Would it not? :)

"You make of this, what, exactly?" George pretended to be unphased by the nature of the note.

"Well, it appears that he hones remorse for what he's done. That is not a usual psychopathic behaviour, I'm sure you know."

"I know." In case you didn't know, psychopaths lack the part of their brain that tells them that something is wrong. For example, killing somebody. Instead of being deterred by that little voice that says "Hang on, why don't we just take a step back here", a psychopath will disregard the voice (if they even harbour one) and kill that person anyway.

"So what are we to do now?"

"We're trying to get a ping on him, but the body was found in South Carolina. He's coming closer to Virginia," Puffy said, despondent. It was obvious, but hearing the words said aloud made it seem real.

"Maybe he's circling back to find the Fire Killer," George suggested. "Recruiting an old friend."

"It's possible," Philza waved his hand. "He asked about the last known location, correct?" George didn't bother with formalities, simply nodding his head in reply.

"You could be in danger here," Puffy stated. George tried not to roll his eyes. They were treating him like some sort of damsel, unable to fend for himself.

"I'm aware, Captain."

"I've seen the way your mind is wired. You will not let this go, will you?" Philza asked rhetorically. George fought back a smile as he confirmed the executive director's suspicions.

"I thought not. Come," he said, rising from his seat. George followed, Puffy trailing behind the both of them. Phil swiped a key card on a heavy, metal door and led the two inside.

"This room is the FBI headquarters for all of Virginia. Small, I know," Phil announced. The office was indeed on the smaller side, with nothing but a long rectangular table in the centre. The kind of table you see in FBI movies and TV shows, with thin black leather chairs on wheels surrounding it.

"Shit," the brunette murmured in awe.

"Shit indeed," Phil smiled.

"Do you want to tell him or can I?" Puffy asked eagerly, all traces of despondency gone from her presence.

"Best I do it, Cara," Phil reminded.

"Tell me what?" One of the worst parts of being a part of the FBI was the secrecy - sure, it was great in the field but in conversation? Positively exhausting.

"I and some officials in DC have reviewed your data. Every test you've flown through, every graded activity you've aced. We think that in light of recent events, you should be allowed to graduate early. You've proved yourself more than capable. If you accept, you will immediately be placed on a team and work with us to find and detain the Dream Killer," Philza informed. George's eyes widened. Excitement bubbled into his chest, burning a hole in his composure. He knew what he ought to say in this situation. Keep it formal, he reminded himself.

"I'd like to accept your offer," he said, trying to keep the joy out of his voice.

"Excellent!" Philza clapped his hands. "You have three days to bid your farewells and get your affairs together before we transfer you and Captain Puffy to Washington DC. You're dismissed."

George walked out of the cupboard- ahem, FBI Headquaters for all of Virginia tailed by Puffy.

"Was that real?" He asked her, feeling a little dazed.

"You bet your ass it was! You're coming back to Washington with me to work with the most elite crime-fighters in America!" She exclaimed, ignoring the blatant stares she received as the pair walked along the corridor.

"I might end up meeting your curb-stomping friend Minx after all," George grinned.

____________________________________

Within the week, George had informed Tommy, Tubbo, Kate and Maisie of his departure and was flying across America seated next to Captain Puffy. All were extremely excited for him, Kate especially. George had gone to tell her in person (which might have been a ploy to have a decent cup of tea and a cuddle with Jennifer) and Katherine had practically screamed. If he hadn't shushed her, the whole neighborhood would have known about George's promotion.

"This all happened so damn fast," he whispered to no one in particular.

"You'll live," Puffy reassured from beside him.

"Words of wisdom with Captain Puffy," George rolled his eyes.

"C'mon, I'm serious. You'll be fine. You'll make friends."

"I just don't feel right leaving my sister alone in Virginia. At least she was semi-protected with me there," he confessed. It had been bugging him ever since he left her house, a gut feeling he couldn't shake.

"Katherine will be fine. Worry about yourself for once," Puffy scolded. "Besides, we've got eyes on her, what with her husb- sorry, ex-husband being murdered. She's safe."

"Mmm," George hummed, turning to look out the window at the vast blanket of clouds that covered the earth below.

____________________________________

Word count: 1052

Luna xx