Moving Day

Your POV:

This morning, Mom told you she had important news. So here you are, rushing home from school, though you would later wish you had taken your time. You didn't know this would be the last time you walked through these familiar streets.

As you turn the corner and see the house, you use your last burst of energy to sprint to the door. You walk in to find your mother sitting at the table waiting for you, surrounded by piles upon piles of boxes.

Oh no, you think.

"Sweetie..." Mom starts.

"No, Mom," you say and put your hand up. "We're moving?" You ask her and drop your arm, feeling dejected.

She frowns deeply, "I'm so sorry, Pumpkin, but we have to do this. It'll be the last time, I swear."

"B-but, my friends, my school, my life. Moving here was supposed to be the last time!" You whimper with a lump forming in your throat.

"I'm sorry."

You sigh angrily and shrug, "Whatever. I'll get over it." You know in your brain that you shouldn't have, because it's probably just as hard for her, but you storm up to what used to be your bedroom, and slam the door.

It's been like this ever since Dad died. You sit there wondering why you expected this time would be any different.

The Next Day

You hear a knock at your door and you know it's Mom. You also know that she knows you can hear her, so you don't bother getting up and she begins to talk. Tentatively, she says, "Hi, sweetie, are you all packed up?"

After a long pause, she speaks again. "I know you don't want to do this. None of us do, but we have to be strong. This could be good for us."

You slowly get up out of bed and open the door just a bit. She smiles widely, and because of her extreme enthusiasm, your mood lifts just slightly.

You open the door more and permit her entry. "So, are you ready?" She asks, and glances around the room, which, of course, you've barely touched. You sigh.

"Give me an hour."

Soon, you've gathered all your possessions into big brown boxes and stacked them up by the door, ready to go.

Where? You have no idea. Mom has decided that by making the location of the trip a surprise, the whole thing will be looked at with a positive attitude.

She's probably wrong.

You hear Mom yell for everyone to bring their things out to the moving van, so you grab your first two boxes and head out.

Eventually everything you own has been piled into the van. All except one bag of your all-time favourite things and the things that you'll need before the van gets to the new house.

First, the little black cat teddy that Dad gave you when you were seven.

Then, a hairbrush, toothbrush and other essentials you'll need to have.

Next, you couldn't live without your Chat Noir action figure. Chat Noir has been your favourite hero since he showed up in Paris all those years ago. Let's just say you may or may not have a very small crush on him.

You'd just turned fourteen when he made his first appearance. It's been almost two years. Now, your sixteenth birthday is in three weeks.

When Mom calls for you and your siblings to head out to the car, you grab the bag and your phone and walk out with a fake smile on your face.

You couldn't let your younger sister, Isabela (A/N: you can imagine different names but I will choose names for the characters in your life), see your frown.

You walk straight up to her and lightly tickle her. "This'll be fun, huh? An adventure!" You say grandly.

She giggles and tries to shove your hand away. "Yup, I'm so excited!"

You smile and go over to your thirteen year old brother, who looks really annoyed.

"What's wrong, Marcus?" You ask him quietly.

He shrugs, and you give him a look.

"I don't wanna leave." He sulks while rolling his eyes. You pat his back and tell him it'll be alright.

Once everything is loaded into the van, your older sister, Piper, nudges you and you pull out your earphones. "What's up?" You ask her.

She gives you a strange look and asks, "Are you OK? You're not totally beat up about this, are you?"

You quickly glance around to make sure no one else is listening. Isabela is zoned out on the iPad, Marcus is playing with his action figures, and Mom is focused on her tunes and her driving.

"I don't know, it kind of sucks." You tell her sadly. Piper and Marcus are the only ones you can really talk to in the family, no one else really understands like they do.

A sly grin creeps onto her face. "I'm sure you won't be as upset when you find out where we're moving." She teases in a singsong voice.

"What?" You whisper-yell, shocked. "You know where we're going?"

She leans back and a proud look crosses her face. "Yup! And I'm not telling. Not even if you bribed me." She said in a voice that suggested the complete opposite.

You need to know.

"What do you want?" You ask her desperately.

She throws her hand to her chest as if you'd accused her of murder. "What? I would never accept a bribe!"

"What is it?" You pry, unamused. "You want a get-out-of-jail-free card?" This is something you, Marcus, and Piper made up to get Mom off your backs. When one of you owed another a get-out-of-jail-free card, you'd cover for them with Mom.

Piper just shakes her head, giggling. You know she wants to tell you where you're moving, but she knows that your curiosity will overpower you and that she can get something out of this. The saying is right, curiosity really does kill the cat.

"Fine. You want... a ration of my snacks?"

She doesn't answer, just keeps shaking her head. Then it clicks in your brain. You know what she wants.

"Ohhhhhh. You want that." You say with a roll of your eyes, you tighten your jaw, then loosen it and say, "Fine. You got it."

"Yes!" Piper says a little too loudly.

Isabela pops her head right in between the two of you from the backseat. "Are you guys having girl time without me?" She asks disappointedly.

You and Piper both gasp. "We would never!"

You turn back to your phone to wait until Isabela falls asleep, then finally you would find out where you're going.

A/N: Hey, guys! This is the start of my first story! I'm pretty happy with it so far, and excited to continue it! I'll probably reply to most of the comments unless for some reason, it gets really popular, and there are a lot of comments so it gets really stressful, heh. Anyway, to whomever decided to read this story, thank you! You are awesome and I appreciate you! Remember to be positive in the comments, but healthy criticism is always welcome!

Bye-bye, little butterflies!