prologue (rewritten)

location: jamanakai village, 12 years ago

y/n ~ your name

l/n ~ last name

y/f/n ~ your father's name

˚. ✧ . ˚ *˚. ✧ . ˚ *˚. ✧ . ˚ *˚. ✧ . ˚ *˚. ✧ . ˚ *˚. ✧ . ˚ *˚. ✧ . ˚ *˚. ✧ . ˚

"papa... do you know what today is?"

"it's fuckinggg monday y/n. can you not even tell the days of the week apartttt?"

y/f/n began to stumble down the stairs, not looking to start any type of conversation with his "daughter." he was merely looking to quench his appetite, and for that, you could only blame the piles of beer bottles near the kitchen's fridge. he hadn't eaten a proper meal for days, unless you count indulging in alcohol as enough to satisfy any soul's hunger. and even making something as facile as instant noodles was something far beyond his reality. he would surely burn himself trying to boil some water.

but that was besides the point. the point was that every day was the damn same for poor y/n. and given her father's distraught state, that was never going to change. unless some miracle happened, but that seemed as likely as y/n going to university.

"it's my birthday papa... don't you remember?"

"i have otherrrr things to worry about, stupid child. i wish you were never born."

if you didn't know, y/n and her relapsed father lived in a small caravan cluster north of jamanakai village. it was far from ideal - the constant snow, the irritating complaints from the landlord, and the general isolation from the city did not make for any of y/n's happiness. and yet, her father's mere presence did more than just that.

to be truthful, y/f/n was a good man at heart. he graduated from university years ago, but unfortunately, he would likely be the last in the l/n family to do so. with a degree in teaching, he married who he believed to be the love of his life. 

y/n's mom.

but the universe hated seeing him smile. it hated seeing him with his soulmate, it hated seeing him enjoy the richness of life while it lasted. y/n's mom died while giving birth to his only daughter - and after the effects of this cruel fate kicked in, so did the marijuana. and the cocaine. and his remaining savings. 

the hundreds of dollars wasted on those drugs not only harmed his bank account, but also any chance of y/n having a normal life. so who's to blame for that?

"you killed her. you killed my love. i h-haaaate you."

y/n frowned, already accustomed to her father's discouraging words. "i'm going to school now."

"don't come back."

it's funny - the y/f/n ten years ago would have been freaking out if his child left outside of the house unattended. but there y/n was, brushing her dusted boots and unlocking the door with her small, frozen fingers. it's amazing how time can change a person.

on the walk to school, y/n had many things to think about. she thought about her father's unattractive posture the night before when he returned from the sports bar. she thought about the insults he screamed at her as she entered her room to sleep. she tried her best to understand what he meant by "bastard" and "disgrace," but as smart as she was for a toddler, she could not fathom it.

he was a good father in her eyes.

y/n entered the classroom with an unbothered expression - nothing out of the ordinary. but what happened next was something she would remember, in detail, for the rest of her life.