Chapter 8: One Last Dance

Two days till Sunday, and everyone forgot about the so-called "big fuss." They were oh-so-busy with the preparations of this dream union between our wealthy families. Meanwhile, I was not allowed to leave the house for any reason. Koji was watching over me like a predatory hawk. I felt like a puppet and his strings were suffocating me.

'KNOCK'

"Michiru can I come in?" my mother asked.

"Yes."

She sat next to me and ran her fingers through my hair.

"That Shiroi... do you love them?"

I looked at her.

"Even if I do..."

"I heard on TV that they left Japan"

I sat up and looked at her.

"Oh..." 

"But I don't quite believe that."

I looked at my mother skeptically. She wiped away my tears and gave me the key to the front door.

"I'll keep your dad busy. Be back by midnight."

"What?"

"Just go."

"Thank you so much, mom!"

She smiled and kissed me.

"Please hurry back."

*

It was raining. I ran as fast as I could toward her apartment and knocked on her door. I knocked and knocked, but no one answered. The neighboring door opened, and an older man walked outside.

"What's with the noise! In the middle of the night!"

"I am so sorry! Do you know the person that was living here? Where did she go?"

"Ah Shiroi-sama?"

"Yes!"

"She sold the apartment!"

"Sold the apartment?"

"Yes, she left yesterday."

"Do you happen to know who the landlord is?"

"I am."

"Please! Please let me in!"

The man was skeptical for a minute but kind enough to let me in. It was empty. The fireplace was cold. I walked to the verandah, and Shiroi's rose pot was still there. The roses were torn apart, red and white rose petals were now covering the floor as the only things that stood still were the stems and their thorns.

I broke into tears, and the man set his hand on my shoulder.

"Young girl, are you okay?"

I nodded and held the white rose petals in my hands. Within an instant, the wind blew them away as if I was no longer worthy of holding them. I wiped my tears and walked back into the living room.

"Young lady. I am not supposed to tell you this... Shiroi-sama will be very mad..."

"What is it, old man?"

"You seem so devastated..." The man hesitated "Shiroi-sama is still in Osaka... She'll be leaving tomorrow... Well, you see, she has some unfinished financial business with me, so...."

"Please!" I pleaded and grabbed his arm in desperation. "Please! Where is she?"

"Calm down, young lady! My ones are fragile! She is ... well let me remember "he took a piece of paper out of his pocket. "This hotel."