Chapter 34

Christina King.

"You're leaving?"

"I'm sorry it's happening like this Jenifer but I have important business that needs to be attended to immediately. I promise I'll call you as frequently as I can and you can stay here for as long as you want. There's food, water, chocolates, literally everything you'll ever want"

"You know I can't do that. We came here to stay with you, not with the house"

"It's a beautiful house, you'll love it"

It was eight in the morning and my flight was an hour away. I spent the whole night putting my stuff together and finally, everything was ready. It was difficult that I had to pack for a reason this sudden, my things were all around the place and I wasn't the best at doing stuff like that. All I had in my mind was to get back to New York. My curiosity was skyrocketed at that point, I wished there was a quicker way to get home.

There were a lot of possibilities that my dad could be right and I spent hours thinking about it. I reconsidered what he said and found truth in it. I'd gone from someone that completely lost trust in him to one that was hoping he was right. Things weren't completely destroyed yet. Mom didn't know a thing about it and the proof, which hopefully would be a lie, was still a mystery to me. The only thing that gave me regret was the fact Lucas was no longer in my house. He left the moment I told him to and those words he said hurt more than I thought it would. It wasn't even up to a day yet and my mind had gone through them repeatedly. There was still hope I would fix things, that's if Alex ends up not being my sister.

The reason I was going home was no longer to yell at my dad but to find a way to make things work. I figured out that for Mrs Coleman to make someone like Leo believe Lucas was a bad person and even make him see it himself, making me believe Alex was my sister would be the tiniest of the things she could do. There were a lot of ways to set the whole thing up and everyone would immediately believe the lie and that was the one thing I didn't want to happen.

I guess Leo was right about this kind of life. There were important things I could lose by just keeping Lucas in my house, something so small could be the cause of my ruin. Even if I eventually make things right, I decided I was going to leave the spotlight for those that were good at it. It was only a few days and I'd gone through so much, how much more if I lived my entire life like this? In a place where I couldn't spend a day without worrying, it was either one thing or the other. Things like this weren't for me, I guess both my parents were wrong to have kept here at the first place. I wouldn't have met Lucas, I would only know Leo from social media, Mrs Coleman would remain Mrs Coleman and I would be back in my house getting ready for college. Boring but preferable.

"I'm sorry Jenifer, I have a flight in an hour and I really need to get going"

"You're doing the same thing again"

"What are you talking about?"

"You're pushing me away, just like you did in school"

"I apologized"

"Doesn't matter. A little problem pops up and you're running away, you can't keep running away from everything"

"I'm not running away, I'm trying to make things better and it wouldn't work if I sit here all day"

"You fired Lucas, what happened to your 'I'm going to find the truth'?"

"That's exactly what I'm trying to do but you can't understand and don't try to make me talk cause I wouldn't"

"What's there to not understand? You can always talk to me, that's why I'm here, to be your friend."

"That's sweet of you but this is more than just friendship"