Chapter 37

Leonardo Aubert

It was her first time conscious after days of being here. Going in and out of the hospital wasn't the easiest thing to do but at least it finally paid off. I was present when she first opened her eyes and that made it the first time in seven days. It was an improvement, a very big one and it gave me hope we would leave soon. She was far from being okay, very far, but at least she was finally stable and could talk.

I didn't expect it to turn out the way it did. It started from a text, saying she wasn't feeling okay and I brushed it off, thinking it to be a flu or something. I knew she wasn't the healthiest and there were an amount of times she would fall sick but the last time something very bad like this happened was when we were around ten and I could barely remember all the events from then. Since then, it was just her regular visits to the hospital.

I was sure to stop by at her house to show concern and when I did, I saw things were worse than the way she expressed it in a single text. Her mom was on another trip and so wasn't around to take care of her. It was just her in the whole house and a few staffs but they had no idea what was going on in her room. Since then, the issue became more of an emergency than I thought it ever would. She looked pale, tired and a lot more sick than I'd ever seen her. She passed out a few minutes after and we had her taken to the hospital immediately.

After she was settled in and I heard what the doctor had to say, I reached out to her mom and just like me, she thought it to be something I could handle for her and even with all of my explanation, she made it clear she was on a very important meeting and wouldn't be able to make it back home till the next two days. Nothing I said could change her mind so things ended up happening the way she said it would.

I had a lot of things on my table, coupled with the fact I was a few weeks away from resuming college. I had to leave it all behind to make sure Alex was okay. The days she spent unconscious was difficult for me, not only did I have to be with her all the time but also worry of what would happen if it got worse. It was hard to not think negatively with her appearance going worse as hours passed. Already, she looked like she had only little life left in her with tubes connected to different parts of her body.

I had people come to visit her. My parents came every day but they only stayed for an hour or two before leaving, I also had one of her friend come in once but that was the last i saw of her. I hoped Christina would come but she too had a lot in her hands with her mom in the hospital. The last time I spoke to her was yesterday and she assured me her mom was okay and the babies were fine. She also said she would be here as soon as she was sure everything would be okay without her in the house.

It was sad that Mrs Coleman wasn't there to see her daughter recover. She told me she would be back in two days and after seven whole days, she still wasn't back in France. I always thought of her to be someone too engrossed with her work but I never imagined she would go as far as choosing her work over her daughter. Even when Alex was yet to open her eyes, I was already worried of how she would react to the fact her mom wasn't around. There was nothing I could say that would make her feel better cause there was no excuse I could give for her sake. I don't think anyone would be happy to see no one turned up in ther time of need.

Besides the normal public and the people that saw her from TV and social media, there were only a few people that liked Alex. I would say I was her only close friend and that's because I was the only one she acted differently to. Every other person, she usually had a problem with. If I didn't know her for who she truly was, I probably wouldn't be there with her in the hospital either.

"I'd like to see Lucas" Were the first words that came out of her mouth and it took me completely by surprise. All the time before she woke up, what I had in my mind was how I would explain to her that her mom wasn't here but for reasons understandable and the first thing she would say is the man that almost killed her.