chapter fifteen , phone calls from america.

( 𝒊𝒏 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒄𝒉 . . . 𝒂𝒔𝒔𝒖𝒎𝒑𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒎𝒂𝒅𝒆 )

IT WAS safe to say that Rory and George were practically living in each other's apartments

IT WAS safe to say that Rory and George were practically living in each other's apartments. George enjoyed Rory's cozy and comfortable lifestyle, with her pastel candles, scattered books, and cups of tea brewing around the apartment. She occasionally played music from a Bluetooth speaker while she cooked or read, George would attempt to help her cook or he'd ask her about the book she was reading.

Rory loved George's streaming lifestyle, she made a few more appearances on his streams and it was safe to say that his fans adored her, almost as much as George adored Rory. She was extremely fond of George's friends, even Tommy. Dream and Sapnap were Rory's number one supporters, a small friendship blossoming between them. George loved to see his closest friends interact happily with the girl who had stolen his heart, he was receiving the best of both worlds.

"George, can you answer my phone?" Rory called, throwing some cookies in the oven. George was in the living room, lounging on the couch. Rory's phone was ringing on the coffee table, just a reach away from George. He picked up the phone and it ceased its ringing, no caller ID showing up on the screen.

"Hello?"

"You're not Lorelai."

George scrunched his face with confusion. "I'm not. I think you may have the wrong number, there's no Lorelai here."

The second the name left George's lips, Rory came dashing into the living room, snatching her phone out of George's hand, mouthing a quick sorry. She tucked a strand of golden hair behind her ear before smiling, "Hey, Gran! Sorry about that, I couldn't answer my phone."

George's eyes widened.

"Grandmother?" He whispered. Rory waved her hand, shooing him away.

The woman on the other line, Rory's grandmother, laughed gently, "Well that's alright, hon. I was a little confused, to say the least. He sounded like a charming young man from the two sentences I got from him."

George smiled, proud. "So she thinks I'm charming?"

"Gran!" Rory hissed, "I'm pretty sure he can hear you."

"Well, is he eavesdropping?" Rory's grandmother asked, exasperated. Rory shook her head, "No, no. Nothing like that. I'm just standing right next to him in my living room."

"Living room? So he's in your place?"

"Uhm," Rory said, "Yeah. He's my boyfriend?"

Her last sentence painfully sounded like a question and Rory winced, shutting her eyes as she facepalmed. George bit his lip, holding back a laugh.

"Well, put him on the phone," Rory's grandmother demanded, although Rory could hear her smile. Rory shook her head, laughing nervously.

"Gran, that's not necessary-"

"I'll keep calling you Lorelai if you don't do it."

Rory handed her phone to George, profusely whispering apologies. George backed away, his eyes blown wide as he covered the phone's speaker.

"Rory! What are you doing?"

"Just talk!"

"No!"

"George!"

George took his hand off the speaker and plastered on a large smile, "Hello?"

"Too cheery! She can tell when you're faking," Rory hissed.

"Well aren't you quite the actor," Rory's grandmother mused. George cringed, "I'm sorry. I'm uhm—I'm George. Rory's boyfriend."

"Well, it's lovely to meet you, George. I'm Dawn Harlow, Rory's grandmother. Before you judge the name, my parents were hippies," Dawn said lightly.

"It's a very nice name," George said kindly.

"I like you," Dawn announced abruptly. "At first I thought you were trying too hard, but you seem alright. Forgive me for sounding like an overbearing mother, I'm not used to Rory being away."

"I can hear you, Gran!" Rory shouted. Dawn sighed, although George could hear the happiness in the sigh.

"I have to love my granddaughter, calling me Gran, making me feel old."

"You're in your late sixties!" Rory called back. Dawn chuckled, "And I still convince people that I'm-"

"No older than fifty," Rory replied, George, laughing at their conversation.

"George, if you'd be so kind, please pass me back to Rory. It was nice to meet you," Dawn said gently. George smiled, catching some of Dawn's happy, contagious energy.

"Of course."

Rory chatted with Dawn for a few minutes, ending the conversation with a happy goodbye.

"So, Lorelai," George teased, "Dawn seems nice."

"First of all," Rory sighed, hiding her smile, "Lorelai is my full name and most people are forbidden to use it, sans Gran. But we're really close, so it's cool. Second of all, I'm sorry about the whole 'label' thing, I just wouldn't exactly call us friends. I just didn't want to assume either."

"Well, I certainly didn't mind it," George simpered. Rory found herself blushing, "I don't mind either. I can't believe we're having the 'are we boyfriend slash girlfriend', conversation."

"Well, we're both awkward. It was inevitable."

"So, boyfriend, what's on the day's agenda?" Rory teased. George wrinkled his nose, shaking his head. "The first thing is to veto you calling me boyfriend, that was awful."

"I hated it myself," Rory giggled.