chapter eighteen , decisions.

( 𝒊𝒏 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒄𝒉 . . . 𝒔𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒂𝒌𝒆𝒔 𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒄𝒉𝒐𝒊𝒄𝒆 )

RORY FOUND herself going to lunch with Aurelia most days of the week, due to Dawn kicking her out

RORY FOUND herself going to lunch with Aurelia most days of the week, due to Dawn kicking her out. Aurelia always paid for the meals, despite Rory's constant protests that she could pay for herself. Aurelia would wittily reply that currently, Rory had no job and was back living with her grandmother. This resulted in shutting Rory up and Aurelia paying for their food.

"Earth to Rory," Aurelia said impatiently, "Did you hear what I just said?"

Rory shook herself out of her daze, she was lost in her little world. But suddenly she was back, in reality, gazing at Aurelia from across their cafe table. It painfully reminded Rory of the cafe she would go to with George, where they would chat animatedly about anything and everything.

"Sorry, Lia. Can you repeat yourself?" Rory asked tiredly, running her hand through her hair. Aurelia sighed, "I was asking about George. How are you guys?"

"We're okay," Rory mumbled. Aurelia quirked an eyebrow, "Just okay? I thought that guy was like in love with you or some shit."

"No need to be aggressive," Rory chided, "It's just been a little slow. We've missed each other three times this week, the time difference is making things so much harder than I thought it would be."

"Oh, Rory," Aurelia said quietly, softening. Rory smiled sadly. "I'm living out here again. I don't know when I can go back to Brighton, I don't know when I can see him again."

"What are you going to do?" Aurelia asked, popping a fry into her mouth. Rory shrugged, taking a sip of her drink.

"I'm not entirely sure. I've been thinking about it, though. I care about him but I just can't see this working indefinitely. I can't. I don't want to burden him."

"It's not like you to just give up on a relationship like this."

"But if I give it up three months down the road, it'll hurt a lot more. If I do it, it's only fair that I end things now," Rory said, ignoring the feeling of imminent dread dwelling inside of her.

Aurelia tilted her head, gazing at Rory with concern. "Rory, you're more of a romantic than I am. And you're willing to give this whole relationship up. Over what, a few thousand kilometres?"

"Yes, Lia," Rory said firmly, trying to get her point across. "The distance is too much, the idea that we don't know where I'll be in a few months is all too much. I can't be the girlfriend George deserves when I'm in California."

"So you're just going to break up with him?" Aurelia queried, not understanding Rory's points at all. Rory was a romantic, an optimist. And she seemed so happy with George, Aurelia had seen it from across the ocean.

"I- I guess so," Rory said softly, ignoring the tears pricking her eyes. Aurelia sighed pitifully, ignoring Rory's feelings about pity. Right now, the woman needed the sorry feelings and sympathy.

"God, Rory. I'm so sorry," Aurelia uttered, watching Rory wipe her face quickly. Rory smiled with a shrug, plastering on an optimistic smile.

"We'll figure it out. We always do."

***

Rory did not want to end things with George.

It was that simple.

Rory loved George, she had fallen in love with him. Every word that slipped from his lips, every laugh, every endearment, every smug I told you so, made Rory's heart soar. And so the idea of ending things with George broke Rory's heart. But so did the distance and the utter void she was in. There was no way out of the situation that accommodated both the distance and their relationship.

While Rory was a romantic, she was also logical. Although right now, she didn't want to be. But Rory's brain ignored her heart and convinced her to call George, to do something she never thought she'd end up doing. She didn't want to burden him, she didn't want him stuck with a girlfriend who couldn't give him everything he's ever wanted.

She wanted to give him the world but she couldn't.

With trembling hands and eyes full of tears, Rory called George. For the first time in a week, he caught her call, picking up right away.

"Rory, hey. I'm sorry we've been missing each other all week, it's been so hectic-"

"George," Rory mumbled, tears falling.

"-Dream has been on my ass about filming a new video and I'm so sorry, Rory, I-"

"George."

He stopped talking to hear Rory's shaky breaths.

"What's wrong?" George asked worriedly. Rory began to cry, her breathing shallow and short. Suddenly her lungs didn't expand enough, the oxygen she was trying so hard to receive wasn't being given to her.

"I- God this is so hard," Rory sobbed, wiping her eyes.

"Hey, hey, hey. Whatever this is, we'll get through it together. It's us, we got it," George said gently, trying to soothe Rory. But his words only made her break down even more because there wasn't going to be an us between them anymore.

Rory heaved in air, trying to clear her throat and dry her eyes so she could form proper words.

"George," Rory whispered, her salty tears falling onto her lips. "I- I don't think this is going to work out."

Radio silence.

"It's just with the distance," Rory continued shakily, "It's all so much. I can't be who I was when I'm so far. I live here now. And I don't want to do this but I feel like my heart is going to implode."

George bit his lip, ignoring the tears pricking his eyes.

"Rory-"

"I love you. And I didn't imagine saying this over the phone but I do. But I don't want you to stay tethered to me or to feel burdened. I can't do that to you, George."

"Hey, Rory," George said gently. "I get this is causing you a lot of stress and I don't want to add to that. It- it's okay."

But it wasn't.

"I love you too. And I love you enough to accept the fact that you're letting go," George uttered gently. Rory found the tears rolling in again, silently. She just wanted to collapse.

"I'm so sorry," Rory whispered, her voice shuddering.

"It's alright, Rory. It's alright."