One • Brothers to Kings

"The first lesson I ever learned was never to wait for a man's rescue

"The first lesson I ever learned was never to wait for a man's rescue." -Queen Catherine de Medici

。.✦ ☾

Directly under the throne room, a gloomily lit hall. Banners hang on either side to form a corridor down the middle of the fire-lit room. Giant doors open at one end. A huge figure silhouetted against the bright light beyond walks forward.

We recognize the unmistakable shape of the God of Thunder. Hammer in hand, he reaches the end of a raised platform.

An attendant hands the figure a goblet of wine. He downs it quickly and hurls it towards the fire directly below. "Another!" Thor yells

The cup smashes, the alcohol causes the fire to glow intensely -- and, for a moment, brightly lit, and seen full length, like a King to be, is the mighty Thor. He proceeds down the steps, and down the center of the Hall.

We follow from behind and see at the other end, massively shadowed by one of the great banners, the shape of two great horns.

Thor approaches, the horn shapes move, and then, from the shadows at the side, emerges Loki, wearing his horned headpiece.

Like Thor, he is dressed for the welcome of the Gods and Goddess of Olympia. They stand by a brazier at the foot of the steps that lead up to the crowded throne room.

"Nervous, brother?" Loki asks. The blond was to meet his future Queen. It wasn't official, it was whispered among the nobles, but this visit wasn't just to catch the kings up. It was to announce the princess to the prince.

Thor loathed the idea of being tied down, but he had no say.

Thor turns to his brother, smirking. "Have you ever known me to be nervous?" Thor asks "There was the time in Nornheim..." Loki says

"That wasn't nerves, brother. It was the rage of battle. How else could I have fought my way through a hundred warriors and pulled us out alive?" Thor says

The Attendant approaches with another goblet of wine for Thor.

"As I recall, I was the one who veiled us in smoke to ease our escape." Loki says "Some do battle, others just do tricks." Thor says

The Attendant stifles a laugh. Loki notices doesn't like it. He gestures towards the goblet in the Attendant's hand.

EEls pour over the sides of the goblet, slithering out and across the terrified Attendant's hand. He screams and hurls the goblet to the ground. Loki chuckles.

"Loki..." Thor says

Loki gestures to the writhing eels on the ground. They turn back to spilled wine, and the illusion is shattered.

"Now that was just a waste of good wine." Thor says "Just a bit of fun. (to the Attendant) Right, my friend?" Loki asks. The Attendant isn't so sure.

Thor dons his Eagle-winged helmet. "Nice feathers," Loki says pointing to Thor's helmet. "You don't want to start this again, do you, Cow?" Thor teases

"I was being sincere!" Loki exclaims, smirking.

"You're incapable of sincerity." Thor says "Am I?" Loki asks. He looks his brother in the eye, all pretense lost.

"I've looked forward to this day as long as you have. You're my brother and my friend. Sometimes I'm envious, but never doubt that I love you." Loki says

Thor searches his brother's face and sees no trace of irony. He's either speaking from his heart or he's a very, very good liar. Maybe both. Thor puts an appreciative hand on his brother's shoulder. "Thank you," Thor says

The two brothers take in the moment a beat, then:

"Give us a kiss." Loki says "Stop." Thor says

Thor makes the final adjustments to his ceremonial wear. "How do I look?" Thor asks "Like a king." Loki says

Thor eyes his brother. "You're next you know," Thor says

Loki scoffs. "I called you a king and you threaten me with marriage, some brother you are. But unlike you, I am the second-born male, which only means that I have more freedom in my life." Loki points out

Thor rolls his eyes, he didn't need to be reminded.

Suddenly they hear the blast of a ceremonial horn. "It's time." Loki says "You go ahead." Thor says

Loki casts him a wary look. "I'll be along. Go on." Thor says. Loki heads inside the palace without his brother.

....

Volstagg combs his great beard in preparation for the big event.

As he does, he's surprised to find a stray grape stuck in the beard. He pulls it out, looks around, then eagerly pops it into his mouth and gobbles it down.

Fandral checks his reflection in a mirror smooths out his moustache, and gives himself a dashing smile. A pretty maiden holds the mirror before him, as other maidens look on dreamily.

"Thank you, love," Fandral says to the Maidens.

"Now who'd like to polish my sword for me?" Fandral ask

The giddy Maidens eagerly raise their hands.

Hogun stands staring ahead grimly, his hands folded in front of him, amidst the hustle and bustle of the attendants and the ceremony preparations going on around him.

A helpful attendant approaches him and starts to polish his armor. Hogun turns his head and gives him a look. Intimidated, the Attendant quickly backs away.

From behind, we see a woman in ceremonial armor take off her sword and set it on a table, then her shield, then several hidden daggers and small, yet intimidating weapons.

The woman is Sif, looking radiant as ever, with a fair face and long locks of hair. She eyes the weapons on the table. "I'll miss you," Sif says to the weapons, gently caressing the blade, careful not prickling her fingers.