four

To his own surprise, Kova found himself eating breakfast with Jase most mornings

It wasn't that Kova didn't like Jase, more that Kova wasn't exactly great with... friends. But Jase was insistent and when he wanted something the world seemed to bend over backward to give it to him. So Kova ran. And most days, Kova lost. Jase was always short on Notes. The loser had to pay. That was their rule. Kova allowed himself to win some days to make sure Jase was giving it his all.

Jase ordered the same meal everyday: French Toast with scrambled eggs and bacon. Kova, on the other hand, liked to change his order every time they went, usually eating the breakfast special. Today, it was waffles with bananas, chopped pecans, and enough syrup to fill a fountain.

Tastes exploded on Kova's tongue, but he gagged as the sheer amount of sugar in the dish caused his stomach to hurt.

"Ka. Too sweet," Kova grumbled.

Jase rolled his eyes. He didn't think there was such a thing as too sweet. "Then ask the waitress to get you another plate," Jase said. "You told her not to put syrup on it."

The fork in Kova's hand faltered as he looked at Jase with wide eyes. "It is... fine," he said. Kova was fine with this. He didn't want to bother the waitress.

Jase just rolled his eyes again and began to inhale his breakfast, while Kova picked around the edges of his waffle, eating parts that weren't drenched in syrup along with the pecans and bananas on top.

After breakfast, Kova and Jase changed into their uniforms and went to Stingray together. Kova walking, Jase rolling beside him. Once in the office, it was easy to tell which one belonged to who. Jase had taken the time to personalize his, decorating it with the little knick knacks that people sometimes gave them as a form of gratitude and holopics.

The first holopic was of a woman Kova assumed was Jase's dead mother as she looked a lot like him. The second was of him and Huraira. The third and most recent holopic was of Huraira, Bonnie, and Kova, forever frozen in the dining hall by the lens of Jase's Chip. Bonnie and Huraira were laughing about something Jase had said and even Kova looked mildly amused.

Sitting down, Jase sighed, loud and overdramatic, as he did every morning before picking up the little ball that allowed them to find a case, causing PAT to come to life.

"Good morning, Jason Williams and Kōvhakiēl Malik," PAT said. "Dr. Abbott had instructed me to tell you, Kōvhakiēl, that the Genetic Map you requested is ready."

Kova's eyes widened. Finally. Abbott had taken long enough with Huraira's Genetic Map.

Jase squirmed in his chair. "Should we go now?" he asked.

"No," Kova said, not even getting a chance to sit down at his desk, which he preferred neat and impersonal. No pictures or charms. The memories would only serve as distractions. "I'll go pick up the Map, talaa. We can look over it together soon. You do your work."

"But-"

"This will be quicker," Kova said. "Do you not wish to get to Level Eight?"

They were almost there. Another good case and they might level up. The thought made Kova's stomach twist but it always served as a motivator for Jase.

He nodded begrudgingly. "Fine. Just don't take too long," he said. "Huraira and Bonnie took the day off for partner bonding or whatever excuse they pulled out of their asses this time and all this bookwork is so boring!"

Kova just left the office, not even bothering with a roll of his eyes. Huraira and Bonnie spent a lot of time together because they were dating. Did Jase not know that? Or was Kova not supposed to know that? There were always rules on what he should and shouldn't know and what he should and shouldn't say.

It was all... very tiring for Kova.

The doors to the genetics lab slid open at the touch of Kova's Chip as he entered the waiting room, hoping Abbott would come quickly.

Thankfully, he did. Abbott emerged, dark rings under his eyes, hair wild, and wielding a packet of papers like a blade.

"It's absolutely magnificent!" Abbott said, throwing his hands into the air.

"I am sure," Kova said. "How much is the second payment, Abbott?"

Abbott looked at him like he was crazy. "Second payment? You don't have to make a second payment if you can get another sample!"

That was... atypical. "Why?" Kova asked.

"When you and Jason brought this to me, I thought you were crazy," Abbott said, showing the papers to Kova. It was just a mess of scientific jargon that Kova couldn't understand. "But now I get it!"

Kova flipped through the pages, eyes skimming the words and glancing at the pictures of the DNA.

"I have no clue how y'all dragged this in but... it's simply marvelous." Abbott's grin was so large it was alarming. "Not human, but not Smile either. Like something caught in between.

The papers slid from Kova's hand.

[author's note]

ahaha kova's pov (finally) and some more of the huraira debacle (finally)

thoughts and theories are always welcome!