twenty-seven

On Sabiya's back, they made it to the building the girl had described quickly

On Sabiya's back, they made it to the building the girl had described quickly. The streets were abandoned, every sane person taking shelter from the approaching Storm and praying their name wouldn't be listed amongst the deceased.

The building was old and crumbling, guarded only by a chain fence. Nothing stirred within and Huraira frowned. Had Red moved early? Feeling the weight of her hilt, Huraira grounded herself. No. They would kill Red here and now.

They slid off Sabiya as she reverted to her cat form. "Take shelter," Kova said, rubbing Sabiya behind the ear and the fluffy white cat purred and disappeared.

Finally movement twitched inside the building. She squinted as a woman with bright red hair and glowing scarlet eyes emerged from the shadows. Red Riding Hood. Only... the closer she got, the more Huraira felt as if something was off. Red had never worn a costume before. Never needed to. Her triangle choker and crimson hair and eyes were enough of an identifier. It had been through those features she had gotten her name.

Today was different, though

She was swinging a sword around - not an ignited blade, but a machete made of a pale blue material. And... she had a black, leather cloak wrapped around her shoulders. There was something off about it. Something Huraira couldn't place. She frowned as the Smile got closer.

"Kōvhakiēl, Cinderella, my little masterpiece in the making. How long I've waited to cross blades with you." Red leapt over the chain fence, her cloak fluttering behind her. "Huraira, Peter Pan, a filthy mongrel, and... Jase, Mulan, a pretty golden human I apparently forgot to kill all those years ago." She smiled. "Sorry, but I can't say I remember you."

The wind picked up, howling through empty streets. And... a familiar scent filled Huraira's nose. Lilja. Parthēna. Tamīka. Huraira could smell them all, but she couldn't see them. They... they were all coming from Red. No... Red's cloak. Black leather. Smile skin. The skin of Kova's sisters.

Of Huraira's sisters.

Staring at her with wide eyes, Huraira knew that Kova could smell it too. "Do you like it?" Red asked, showing off her cloak like a new gown. "I made it just for you."

Kova shrieked. It was an awful noise that seemed to cause the entire world to tremble as he fell to his hands and knees. Huraira ignited her blade, teeth clenched. Jase pulled his guns. Without Kova, this fight just got a lot harder.

Jase fired.

It was aimed at Red's eyes but she raised her hand to block the shot at the last moment. "That trick won't work twice," she said but that was all she got to say as Huraira lunged forward. Their blades clashed, sending electric sparks flying through the air. It was high paced combat, but nothing Huraira wasn't used to.

What was new was Jase's support. He was a distance fighter while Huraira was melee. Which meant, Huraira had to be in Red's face, risking her life, while Jase tried to actually hit her. Huraira and Red were constantly moving, trading blows and trying to gain the upper hand. All of this movement, of course, made shooting difficult.