TWENTY SEVEN

OLIVIA

Olivia was having a terrible day.

She frequently skipped Ms. Mayhew's period, but today, she couldn't even find it in herself to go to any other class. She wished she'd stayed at home but it was tense and awkward between her and Logan and she couldn't exactly tell him she was feeling so down at his words yesterday that she didn't want to go to school.

She knew Logan had a hard time with everything. She knew that. But she wished he didn't have a hard time with her. She didn't like it when whatever stressful things he was thinking spilled out into the conversations and interactions between them.

Of course, that only made her feel more guilty because she'd never heard Blake and Elijah complain to Logan. They were good brothers to him. They always seemed to understand him and get along with him and even when things were difficult, they got through it, together.

She was just a terrible sister.

She laid on her stomach on the cold white tiles, with her face in her backpack and her arms around the straps. Her heart felt heavy and she wanted more than anything to stop feeling so much for every single thing in her life.

She wanted her mom so badly. She wanted to put her head in her lap like she did when she would have a bad day and cry.

That was how Angel found her second period. His shoes squeaked to the wall opposite to her, and the fabric of his blazer made a slipping noise as he slid down against the wall slowly until he reached the floor.

For a long while, he didn't say anything. He just sat there.

Olivia wanted nothing to do with anyone or anything that day. She had all but resigned herself to a day of complete silence. But the longer the usually talkative Angel sat there quietly, the more she began to feel like something was wrong.

Finally, he took in a shallow breath. And in a shaky voice, he said, "Guess we're both having a shitty day today."

When she shifted her head sideways on her backpack to see him, his eyes were dry but he had an unhappy look on his face. He had dark circles under his eyes and his hair was a flat, unwashed, and unattractive mess.

"I don't think I can take it here," he said, and he was trying to keep his tone light but underneath, there was enormous tension and sadness. "I'm going to the store to find chips. Do you want to come?"

Olivia knew she wasn't supposed to leave school. She knew it was especially dangerous for her. She knew Logan would be angry and disappointed if he found out.

But she was tired and she was horribly lonely and she knew Angel was too. And even though she knew it was a bad idea, she stood up from the floor, held out her hand for Angel to take, and pulled him to his feet.

*****

"You can drive?" Olivia asked incredulously.

They stood in the parking lot in front of Angel's car, an old, beat up vehicle that she doubted even had working air conditioning.

"Of course I can!"

"I know for a fact that you are fifteen, and the law is you need to be sixteen to have a license."

"So what if I only have my learner's permit," Angel said flippantly. "I don't see the issue."

"This is so not legal."

"I'm a good driver!" Angel said, motioning for her to get in the car. "Come on, Powers. Don't be like that."

Olivia flinched at that. She hated her fake name. And she was on a mean streak hating everything with ten times her normal amount of irritation that day. Without thinking, she grumbled, "Don't call me that."