Chapter 2

After what felt like an eternity, the bell finally went off, signalling that it was time to take our leave and I've never felt more happy to get home in my life.

The whole day had gone by boring as ever, because not only did Xena and Curtis were too busy to have lunch with me for the fact that they were too busy trying to join clubs. I had to bare sitting alone at the cafeteria table. They chose this last year to do whatever they didn't get to which was a lot from the list they showed me.

A boy riding a skate board rode pass me, almost hitting me over. I resisted the urge to grab a stone and hit him in the head with it as I looked over the crowd in irritation. What was taking them so long? The hot afternoon sun shown against my skin, increasing the heat on my already warm and on fire, skin.

I held a hand over my eyes to block the sun and rolled my eyes. I looked over at Curtis's car with a frown and wondered why I didn't bother to ask him for the key so I could wait for them inside the car and away from the scorching heat of the sun.

I swear the sun is out to bake us all.

I took my bag off and put it on the car top, avoiding my skin from touching the hot metal. I smack my lips and held them tightly together as my eyes ran over the crowed place. If they were in the crowd then it was going to take a person with good eye to catch them and that person wasn't me.

I exhaled pulling my phone out of my pocket to check my messages, there was only two and one was from my fifteen year old brother and another one from Mom. I tapped on the recording my brother sent and rolled my eyes at the gibberish he was singing, being obnoxiously loud. Wherever he was echoed. I pulled my lip up in annoyance before sending him a middle finger. I backed out of his chat before clicking on my mother's.

"Gonna be late tonight Cook dinner."

I glanced up and ran my eyes over the crowd again before looking back down at my phone and began to type a message back to her.

"Okay, Mom. Love you."

I pushed my phone back in my pocket and looked around for a shade to move to and there was not one. I thought about going back inside the school but decided against it. It would've been another hour searching for them everywhere and when I finally give up and decide to wait outside there would be no car in the parking lot and no sign of my friends, I wasn't going to make what happened last year happen this year too.

I looked down at my watch impatiently wondering if I should just go take a bus.

The clouds covered the sun, granting my skin a little time to cool. I grabbed my bag deciding that I should just leave while the sun was covered by the clouds, no doubt only for a short period of time, but if I didn't leave now then I wasn't going to get home early. And my careless, good for nothing brother would probably feed our baby brother poison.

"Betraying us so soon, traitor?"

I turned around and raised a brow at the two as Curtis shook his head at me. "Well, incase you've all forgotten, I have a fifteen year old brother who's a complete idiot who's the only one at home with my sweet little angel of a brother."

Xena chuckled, "I thought he was a little demon this morning."

"That was when I was angry that he killed my little Goldie. I'm still upset, however I don't want Owen to murder him though," I replied, going inside the back of the car as soon as Curtis pulled the car.

"So, how did your club hunting go?" I asked curiously once we were on the road.

Xena hesitated before turning around to look at me, "I'm going to join the cheerleading team."