four

I didn't have to look behind me to know who was there.

"Hi Camilo," I said slowly, in a low voice. I didn't want to disturb the ceremony, although I was sure Camilo was perfectly capable of doing that on his own. "What do you want?"

I could tell the boy was smirking due to his tone. "Why, I just wanted to see you!"

I rolled my eyes. This boy, ugh. I couldn't believe how annoying he was. Couldn't he just leave me alone?

"You don't have to talk to me in order to see me, y'know," I replied. "Even though that's probably creepy."

Camilo strolled over to stand beside me, his dark eyes watching as Mirabel and Antonio walked up the stairs together. "Nah, staring at you got boring."

My eyes widened slightly as his comment, but Camilo just laughed.

"Chill, cariño, I was kidding. I wouldn't stare at you."

"Uh huh," I said, stepping away from him. "Well, if you don't mind, I'm just gonna go —"

"Nope." Suddenly, Camilo's right hand was leaning against the pillar behind me, and the boy was standing pretty close to me. In fact, I could feel his warm breath on my face. Gross.

"Um, personal space anyone?" I asked sarcastically. "You're really weird. Can you not..." I gestured at him.

Camilo smirked again, shaking his head. "Why, d'you wanna leave me so soon?"

"Uh, yeah?" I glanced up at him. Big mistake. I found myself instantly falling for those deep brown-green eyes, that stupidly annoying smirk, and the mess of curly dark hair.

I swallowed. "Yeah, I do," I repeated, brushing my hair out of my face. "Can you please move?"

Instead, Camilo just placed his other hand on the other side of my head, practically trapping me against the pillar.

I was pretty certain I was blushing.

"What if your abuela or my mother or brother or something see you doing this?" I hissed. "Get off of me!"

Camilo rolled his dark eyes and reluctantly moved out of the way. I didn't think he did it because I asked him to though. I think it was just because Antonio was about to open his door.

I watched in awe as the five year old grasped the door handle, and a gold shimmer went though the doorknob. Suddenly, a bird landed on Antonio's arm, squawking at him.

"Uh huh," Antonio said, nodding. "I understand you."

I didn't catch what he said after that, but just then, a flurry of birds and other animals all flew and ran into the open courtyard, surrounding Antonio. He laughed hysterically.

"We have a new gift!" Antonio's abuela said, raising her hands, in relief I think. I then noticed Mirabel standing behind her, her eyes down. My heart ached terribly for my new friend. It must be awful for her, living in a family where everyone was special, except her.

"You coming?" Camilo asked me, and I glanced at him.

"What?"

He pointed up the stairs, where his family had already disappeared into Antonio's new room. The rest of the people were slowly filing up there. "Come on," Camilo urged.

I sighed. "I'm only going because I want to, not because you're telling me to."

Camilo shrugged. "Okay."

I followed him upstairs, and into the newest Madrigal room. It took my breath away. It was literally a huge jungle treehouse. I would've killed for something just like this as a kid.

"Wow..." I managed.

Camilo smirked, and I remembered how annoying he was.

"That's what I thought when I saw you," he joked, and I hit him on the arm.

"Ow," he winced, holding his arm and cradling it gently. "That really hurt. I need Julieta."

"Mirabel's mum," I noted. "The one who can fix any injury with a meal?"

Camilo nodded. "Yeah, that's her. But I don't actually need her, of course. You couldn't hurt me with just a little slap."

I rolled my eyes again. "I'm sure I could hurt you if I really wanted to, but I won't."

Suddenly, I was looking at myself again. "I'm sure I could hurt you if I really wanted to," Camilo-Me said, "but I won't."

He mocked me by walking in a very exaggerated way, sashaying in a way that I definitely did not do.

"Oh, come off it," I groaned. "I don't walk like that!"

Camilo changed back into himself. "Yes you totally do."

"Not like that I don't," I argued.

Camilo made a face at me, and stuck out his tongue. I did it right back.

"Y/N!" My mother came over, smiling at giving Camilo a once-over. "Who's this?"

I groaned internally. Oh, great. "This is Camilo Madrigal, mamá. Camilo, this is my mother. And no, mamá, he isn't my friend. An acquaintance, maybe."

My mother raised an eyebrow, but she didn't comment. I guessed she had her suspicions about Camilo and I, but I can guarantee you they were all completely wrong. I mentally braved myself for a long questionnaire from her and Leo tonight.

"If you'll excuse me," I said to Camilo.

"If I have to," he replied, and my mother and I headed off, me feeling slightly thankful and slightly disappointed that I wasn't with Camilo anymore.

<3