sixteen

[ hi i know i literally freaking died for like two years and i'm so sorry for that lmao, i've had a debilitating skin condition and haven't had much time to devote to an entire story but i'm gonna be attempting to finish this book bc i just read through it and although it's choppy and not very well written you guys have given it so much love and i literally cried when i realised how many wonderful comments you'd all left me in the last two years. so here's a quick chapter, i promise i'll update before another two years go by lol ]

I sucked in a breath, glancing sideways at Mirabel. "Uhh..."

Mirabel pursed her lips. "Okay, uh, well..." She appeared to have a loss for words too, neither of us really knowing what to say.

I tried to lighten the tension. "Well, I guess everyone was right about how awful Bruno's prophecy's were."

Mirabel looked at me, and managed a smile, thanking me with her eyes. "I guess we'd better get down to dinner. You'll stay, won't you?"

I sighed. "I guess so. I don't suppose my mamá will love me literally always being out but I think she prefers it to me never leaving my bedroom."

Mirabel grinned. Just as the two of us were about to leave the room, the nursery door opened, revealing Mirabel's father. Agustin, I think.

Agustin froze in his tracks, his mindless chatter about party pants dying in his throat. His eyes locked on the glowing green vision and widened in horror.

Mirabel instantly flung herself in front of the chest of drawers, desperate to block his gaze. Casita tried to help her by shuffling further behind the two of us.

"What is that?" Agustin asked slowly, his gaze dragging up to meet Mirabel's. I bit my lip, sharing a look with Mirabel. She begged me with her eyes to leave. Don't ask me how I could tell, I just could.

I nod ever so slightly and slip out the door, heading down the stairs to the front door. Camilo is walking through the courtyard at the same moment, and he glances at me.

"Leaving so soon, carino?" he teases.

I roll my eyes. "Sorry, man, gotta go. Mira's got some drama to deal with alone."

"Drama?" His eyebrows furrow. "What do you mean?"

I shrug. "After that crazy song about your Tio? Her father came in and caught us with—" I stop. "Nothing. Anyway, I'd best be getting home. I'll see you?"

Camilo looks confused, and curious, but nods slowly. "Okay. Want me to walk you home?"

I hesitate. Should I say yes?

<3