eight

That night, Mirabel and I waited until we were sure everyone was asleep, then we changed into comfy clothes, Mirabel in the same as before, and me in a black top with pink and blue and green embroidery, with my green embroidered skirt too.

We snuck outside, carefully climbing up onto the roof, heading over to where the candle in the window sat.

Just as we were reaching it, however, Mirabel's abuela walked up the window, and Mirabel and I had to press ourselves against the wall to avoid being seen.

"Ay, Pedro." Alma sighed deeply.

I had to grit my teeth and squeeze Mirabel's hand tightly to stop myself from leaping over to the window and tearing Alma's hair out for hurting Camilo and Mirabel.

But I didn't. Mirabel's gentle hand squeezes calmed me down slightly.

"I need you," Mirabel's abuela continued. I could see that she was holding a little gold locket, with a picture of a young man in it. Maybe Mirabel's abuelo?

"Cracks in our casita... If our family knew how vulnerable we truly are... If our miracle is dying... We cannot lose our home again."

Alma sighed again. "Why is this happening? Open my eyes. If the answer is here, help me find it. Help me protect our family. Help me save our miracle."

Alma disappeared, and for a count of five neither me or Mirabel moved. Then, Mirabel met my eyes.

"I will save the miracle," she said, determination in her expression. She took my hand again and together, we climbed off the roof and headed back to her room. We grabbed our satchels and shoes, and got ready to sneak back out.

Mirabel had the idea of trying to enter her Tio Bruno's old room. He had had the ability to see the future, so maybe, just maybe, we'd be able to find out something to help save the miracle. At least, that's what Mirabel and I were hoping.

The two of us were tiptoeing down the hall, past all the glowing golden doors, when suddenly one of them opened. My heart leapt into my throat until I realised it was only Camilo.

He looked at the two of us for a few seconds in confusion, then he seemed to understand. "You're trying to save the miracle?" he asked quietly. "Well I'm coming."

Mirabel frowned. "Why?"

Camilo just looked at us. "Because I was to help. You might need me."

I shrugged. I had to resist the urge to ask him if he was okay, if he needed anything, but I restrained myself. I didn't think Camilo would appreciate it, nor would he probably like the fact that I knew his abuela had been hitting him.

"Sure," Mirabel finally relented. "But you have to be quiet, and helpful." She raised her eyebrows at her cousin, and he nodded, glancing at me.

"Yeah, yeah, sure. Helpful. Quiet. Got it," he grinned lightly, holding two thumbs up.

Mirabel nodded and the three of us crept to Bruno's old, crumbling, abandoned tower.

His door wasn't glowing gold like the rest of his family's. It was just a plain, wooden door. Nothing altogether special. It made me a little sad, and I wondered what could have possibly made Bruno leave his family.

We slowly pushed open the door, and Mirabel stepped over the threshold.

I didn't realised I'd been holding my breath. This was a magical house, who knew if something weird would happen if we tried to enter Bruno's room. But nothing did happen, and Mirabel was just fine.

Camilo and I followed her, and we found ourselves in a short hallway, with stone walls and a stone floor. About a stone's throw ahead of us, a shower of sand fell constantly, I'm guessing to cover the rest of the hallway.

"That way, I suppose," I said, pointing. "Is it safe?"

Camilo and Mirabel both shrugged. "Dunno," Mirabel said at last.

"No one has ever really been in here except Bruno," Camilo said, looking around. "But he was a creepy guy, I'll tell you that. Seven foot frame, with rats along his back."

I shivered. I was staring to dislike this Bruno guy. And maybe I was a little afraid of him too.

"I heard," Camilo continued, "that when he called your name, everything fades to black. He used to see people's dreams, and feast on their screams."

He suddenly transformed into a tall man, with long dark hair, glowing green eyes, and a wicked grin. I took a step back, suddenly scared, but Camilo just changed back to his regular self, laughing at me.

I glared at him, hitting him on the arm. Not hard, but Camilo winced. I know he did, even though he tried to act like he hadn't had a flash of pain in his eyes.

I frowned, but decided not to say anything.

"Hey," Mirabel said. "Come on, you too." If she was afraid, she didn't show it. That made me feel a little bit like a baby, so I shouldered forward, stepping up the the waterfall of sand next to Mirabel. Camilo stood beside me, peering into the sand.

"I can't see anything," Mirabel said. "You guys ready?"

"For anything," I replied bravely. I didn't feel brave.

"Okay then," Mirabel answered. "Hold hands, guys, and together on three."

Why she wanted us to hold hands, I didn't know, but before I could object, Camilo had grasped my right hand, and Mirabel my left.

And together, we stepped out into open air.

<3