thirteen

"I'd better get home," I told Mirabel, as the two of us left Bruno's tower, with Antonio, Dolores, and Camilo all trailing behind us. "I should check in on my mother, but if I can, I'll come back right away."

Mirabel nodded, but she didn't really seem to be listening all that well. Her eyes were staring down at the floor as she walked, and I could tell that her thoughts were a million miles away.

I glanced behind me, and noticed that the three others had disappeared. I was just wondering where they might've gone, and why, when suddenly:

"Uch, where are you coming from in such a hurry?"

Both of us started in surprise. Neither of us had even noticed we were heading right into Alma's path, and Mirabel had slammed right into her. I noticed a brief flash of horror and fear on Mirabel's face, but she hid it well.

"I'm sorry," Mirabel apologised immediately. "We were --"

Mirabel's Abuela glanced at the top of Mirabel's head, then at mine, too. "What's in your hair?"

Mirabel looked as flustered and helpless as I felt. All I managed was a weak, "Uh --", before we were saved by someone crying.

"My gift! I'm losing my gift!"

Luisa Madrigal came bawling up the stairs. I was shocked to see the older girl crying; she was supposed to be the strong one. This wasn't like her at all.

"What?!" Alma shouted. Both Mirabel and I flinched.

"Mirabel and I were having this little talk about me carrying too much, so I tried not to carry so much but I realized it was putting me behind and I knew I was gonna let everyone down and felt really bad so I was grabbing all the donkeys but then when I went to throw the donkeys in the barn, they were... heavy!!!"

Luisa ran off, crying.

Abuela looked at Mirabel, concerned... and angry.

"What did you do? What did you say to her?"

"Nothing!" Mirabel insisted. "I - I don't--"

"Mirabel --"

Again, we were saved. this time, it was bells ringing in town. Mirabel's abuela looked torn, but she sighed and gave the two of us a glare.

"Ach, I have to go get the Guzmans for Isabela's engagement." Alma glanced at Mirabel. "Stay away from Luisa until I can talk to her. Tonight we can't have any more problems. And whatever you're doing, stop doing it!"

Alma headed off. Mirabel looked over at Luisa's door which golden light... flickered ever so slightly.

I didn't know what was going on, but it was scaring me. I felt pretty shaken up inside, what from Alma, Bruno's creepy room, the vision of Mirabel, and Luisa's gift not working... well, I was feeling pretty worked up and worn down, all at the same time.

"I'd better go..." I said to Mirabel, placing a hand gently on her shoulder. "If I can, I'll come back as soon as I can. Promise."

Mirabel's eyes flickered over to me, and she tried for a brave smile, but she failed. Looking into her dark eyes, I could tell she was absolutely terrified.

"Sorry." I gave her a quick, tight hug, then headed for home.

Luckily for me, I had an awesome mother.

When I arrived at my new house, my mami was hanging up some sheets to air out. She gave me a warm smile when she saw me approaching, and called out: "Welcome home, my little mariposa."

Butterfly. She called me that because my father used to say that I looked like a mariposa when i danced. I didn't dance anymore, but my mother still used my old nickname.

"Mami," I said breathlessly, "Mirabel is in danger, and Casita is breaking, and Mira is in her Tio Bruno's creepy vision, and her sister is losing her magic gift, and the door was flickering, and I came out to Mira and her cute- uh- cool cousin Camilo, and their Abuela is horrible!"

My mother studied me. "Uh huh..." I could tell she hadn't followed any of what I'd just said. Probably a good thing, too, given I had a loose tongue and usually just blurted out whatever was in my head at the time.

I took a deep breath. "I mean, Mirabel needs me help so can I please, please, please go back to the Madrigal's home for today? I promise I'll help you extra when Mira is safe!"

My mother had a faint smile on her lips (though what she was amused by I could only guess), and she waved her hand listlessly. "Sure, go along, my little mariposa. Just be safe, and don't get into any mischief, okay?"

I grinned. "When do I ever get into mischief?"

"Always," a familiar voice said.

I whirled, and came face-to-face with my cheeky brother. He was taller than me by a few inches, and he liked to brag about how he was twenty-three minutes older than me. He loved teasing me, but he also protected me fiercely, as well.

"Hey," I smiled. "Wanna come meet the Madrigals?"

Leo grinned, laughed, and said, "I thought you'd never ask."

Just then, a crazy idea popped into my mind, and I knew my mother's wish for 'no mischief' wasn't going to be coming true tonight.

<3