six

My eyes widen, first in surprise, and then i annoyance. "Do you just follow me around, waiting until I'm alone to ambush me?" I asked, turning.

Camilo was standing there, smirking as usual. Ugh.

"Um... no... I was just walking by and decided to say hi," he said, shrugging.

"Uh huh." I wasn't impressed. "Okay, Whatever. Hi. Okay, nice to see you again, bye."

I tried to walk past hi, but the boy grabbed my wrist. "No so fast."

I rolled my eyes. "What now?" I asked rudely. "Don't you have anyone else you can bother?"

Camilo shrugged. "Y'know, I believe Mirabel and you. I don't think either of you would make up something like cracks in Casita."

I nodded warily. "Nice to know, I suppose. Your point?"

Camilo sighed, running his hands through his unruly hair and staring at the ceiling for a count of five. "Do you have to be so rude? Maybe I'm trying to be friends with you? Did that ever occur to you?"

It actually hadn't, but I wasn't going to tell him that.

"Whatever," I mumbled. "Just leave me alone, yikes. It's not that hard, surely."

Camilo looked at me. "You're annoying cariño."

"As I've been told," I commented. "I'm gonna go find Mirabel, good night to you Camilo Madrigal."

I turned and left him standing there, a dumbfounded look on his face.

I found Mirabel leaving the kitchen, looking disappointed. When she saw me, though, her face lit up. "Oh, Y/N! My mamá said you were allowed to sleep over tonight!"

I grinned. "Awesome!"

"We can go investigate the crack situation," she added in a low voice, leaning closer to me. My smile grew wider.

"Even more awesome," I whispered. "I'll go ask my mother is I can stay over."

Mirabel nodded. "You can borrow a nightgown off me if you need to."

"Thanks," I told her, then we both headed off to find my mother. We ran into her over at the drink table.

"Mamá!" I called, touching her arm. "Can I stay over tonight? Mirabel has invited me. Mirabel Madrigal. She's my new friend."

I gestured to Mirabel, who waved.

My mother smiled at her. "Hello, Mirabel. Nice to meet you." Then she glanced back at me. "Of course you can, as long as it's okay with Mirabel's family."

"It is," Mirabel volunteered.

"Alright," My mother said, smiling. "Have fun, sweetie."

"I will," I said. "Obviously."

My mother gave me a hug and kisses my forehead. "Have a good time. I'll see you tomorrow."

"I'll take good care of her," Mirabel joked, and we shared a small laugh. My mother smiled and left, probably to go home. It was getting late, and my mother tired easily.

"After everyone's asleep tonight, we'll sneak out and explore the walls and the candle window," Mirabel told me, and I nodded.

"Good idea," I said, studying the walls. "I'm so confused. Where did the cracks go?"

Mirabel shrugged helplessly. "I have no idea, but I intend to find out."

I smiled. "Oh, and by the way, your cousin Camilo says he believes our story."

Mirabel looked at me. "Camilo what?"

I shrugged. "Says he believes that there was cracks in the walls. Don't know why. I think he hates me. He's super annoying."

Mirabel smirked. "He can be really annoying. But I love him. He's like the brother I never had. But he is really annoying most of the time."

"Hey!"

Camilo stepped out from behind a pillar, where he'd evidently been watching and listening to the two of us talking.

"Camilo!" Mirabel cried. "You little eavesdropper!"

Camilo shrugged, like What can you do? I rolled my eyes at him, and he made a face at me.

Mirabel watched us. "Camilo, leave Y/N alone, honestly. Do I need to give you another lesson on getting girls to like you? Because you're failing. Epically."

She put her hands on her hips and have Camilo a look.

Camilo pouted, which I admit was pretty adorable. Not that I'd ever admit that to anyone ever. Especially not Mirabel or Mamá or my brother. They'd never stop teasing me about it.

"Awww, c'mon Mirabel. You know I suck at talking to pretty girls."

"Yeah," Mirabel retorted, "I know."

Camilo blushed slightly and wouldn't look at me. I found this both satisfying and daunting. He's called me pretty, quite a few times now, but he was also extremely aggravating. I couldn't like someone who was that much of a pest.

Camilo suddenly laughed. "Well, everyone's leaving now; most of the guests are gone, and it's time for dinner. C'mon, you know what'll happen if we're late to the table."

He hurried off, and I looked at Mirabel. "What will happen?" I asked.

Mirabel didn't meet my eyes. Instead, she just stared in the direction Camilo had gone. "Nothing to worry about," she said finally. "Let's go have dinner."

<3