five

"He's cute," My mother suddenly said. She wasn't looking at me, so at first I didn't think she was even talking to me.

"What?" I asked.

"That boy. He was cute."

I blushed. "Mum, no."

My mother gave me a look. "Ts okay to get a crush, Y/N, I'm not your father. Besides, you're fifteen now. It's high time you start dating. I met your father when I was fifteen."

I groaned. "Mamá, I don't like Camilo at all. I promise. I will never like Camilo at all, either."

My mother shrugged. "Okay. I'm just saying..."

"Okay, okay, I get it," I mumbled. "Start dating. Fifteen. Met dad. Whoo hoo."

My mother laughed. "Oh, honestly, Y/N, lighten up a little, okay mi amor?"

I nodded. The way she called me 'mi amor' reminded me of the shape shifting Madrigal teen. I shook that thought from my mind though. I didn't need him in my head.

"Hey, Y/N!" Mirabel's voice called out to me, and I spotted her weaving through the crowds, heading in my direction.

"Go," my mother said, "have some fun tonight."

I nodded at her and rushed over to Mirabel. "This is the coolest room ever, don't you think?"

Mirabel nodded, excitement dancing in her eyes. "Yes, it's perfect for Antonio. He's always loved animals." She got a faraway look in her eyes, but she quickly snapped out of it.

"Hey, d'you wanna stay over tonight?" she asked. "I don't have many friends, other than my family, so I'm sure you'd be allowed. My mamá is always saying I should invite a friend over, but I've never really had anyone to invite."

I smiled wide. "I'd love to. I'm sure my mamá will be fine with it. She usually doesn't mind when I sleep over at friend's places."

"Awesome," Mirabel said. "I'll ask my abuela now, then."

I nodded, and she grabbed my hand, dragging me through the crowd, as she searched for her abuela.

"Abuela!" she called, but her abuela didn't hear her. She was busy calling for a family photo. I watched as Camilo, Antonio, their parents and sister and cousins and aunt and uncle all crowded together, smiling and posing for the camera.

The camera man snapped the photo, and I noticed Mirabel's shoulders dropping slightly. They took it without her, and no one had even noticed.

"Hey," I said, touching her shoulder. "It's okay. I'm here."

I guessed that Mirabel had been alone for her whole life, never really fitting in, even in her own family. She wasn't like any of them, because she didn't have any magical gifts. But that didn't change how I saw her.

She was so kind and nice and welcoming, and I loved her already. I'd only known her for a day, but she was going to be an amazing friend, I could tell.

"It's okay..." Mirabel repeated. "I'm fine..." She suddenly shook her head fiercely, tears in her eyes. "I'm not fine."

I hugged her right, not sure what to say. This situation was so unique and complicated, and I wasn't sure what to do for Mirabel.

"Come on," I urged, guessing Mirabel would want to go outside of this room, away from her family for a bit.

She nodded, and allowed me to lead her outside. We strolled through the outside courtyard for a few minutes, as Mirabel ranted to me how she'd do anything for a miracle — a miracle that included her.

Suddenly, a loud crack startled both of us. We turned, noticing a shingle from the roof laying on the ground.

"What-?" I muttered, and Mirabel knelt on the ground, picking up the broken shingle.

"Casita?" she asked hesitantly. There was no reply from the house. "Ow!" Mirabel suddenly gasped, the shingle slicing a deep gash in her palm.

"Oh, Mirabel," I said worriedly. "You need to —"

I was cut off by the sound of the floor cracking.

Cracks suddenly were everywhere, spreading quick and fast all over the house, cracking the staircase, the pictures on the walls, even the famous golden doors. The cracks were spreading, up and up, heading towards the magical candle that was fabled to have brought the miracle to the Madrigal family.

"We have to warn the others!" I said. "Come on!"

Mirabel and I ran for Antonio's new room, bursting inside. The party was still going strong, everybody dancing and drinking and eating, having a great time. I spotted Leo chatting with Mirabel's sister, at least I think it was her.

"The house is in danger!" Mirabel cried. The music stopped, and all eyes turned to the two of us. I immediately felt extremely uncomfortable with all the attention focused on Mirabel and I.

"The tiles were falling, and there were cracks everywhere!" Mirabel was waving her hands about, almost hysterical. "And the candle almost went out."

Murmurs wove through the crowd. I knew that the candle was never supposed to go out. If it ever did, that would be a very bad sign.

"Show me," Mirabel's abuela said calmly, with a flicker of fight in her eyes.

Everyone followed Mirabel and I down the stairs. We turned to look at the candle, but... the cracks were gone.

"What?" Mirabel and I both gasped. "No, that's..."

We looked around, and I could tell by the faces of everybody that they were not impressed by our interruption of their party.

"The cracks were there," Mirabel insisted.

"They were everywhere!" I added desperately. I saw my mother looking at me in disapproval, but there was nothing I could do about that.

"The house was in trouble, the candle was..." Mirabel trailed off. Her abuela scoffed, clearly disbelieving is.

"Abuela, I promise..."

"That's enough." Her abuela silenced her. "There is nothing wrong with La Casa Madrigal." She raises her arms and smiled at the people around us.

"The magic is strong," she assured, "and so are the drinks."

The crowd laughed, and slowly dispersed back to their party, grabbing more food and drink.

"Please! Music!" Mirabel's abuela called, and the cheerful music started up again.

Mirabel sighed. "I'm gonna go get my hand healed... I'll be back in a minute."

I nodded, feeling just as confused and down as Mirabel. Why had the cracks disappeared? They were there. I saw them. I know I did.

Mirabel headed off, leaving me alone on the stairs.

"Hey cariño."

<3