𝐎𝐍𝐄: 𝐋𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐬 𝐈𝐧 𝐍𝐘𝐂

song of the chapter

Midnight City, by M83

𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐘𝐎𝐑𝐊 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐓𝐔𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀𝐓 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

The street lights were bright, people crowding the sidewalks even though the sky was pitch black. Cars honked as they passed through the busy streets, billboards and signs illuminating the streets in violent shades of purple, orange, and blue. The air was buzzing, refusing to rest as it shared its energy with its inhabitants.

The daytime was beautiful in a different way- the sun shone warmly over infinitely tall skyscrapers, bathing the city in a bright, cheery light. From the top floor of the Avengers Tower, you could see the distinct places where shadow met sunlight in between the buildings.

It was gorgeous, but the energy was completely different once the sun had set. People seemed to become more confident, step into more daring personas. Charlie didn't know how people could resist falling in love with New York at night.

Or, maybe, it had something to do with the thrill of sneaking out for the first time.

Charlie Stark-Rogers was grinning, the wind gently blowing her shoulder-length hair as her shoes scuffed the concrete. She was practically skipping, Stark-style leather jacket flapping at her movements as goosebumps rose on her arms- whether from the cold or from excitement, she didn't know.

She caught her reflection for a split second in the window of a restaurant, eyes bright and face beaming around a dimpled smile. She realized with a start how happy she looked- it was pretty on her.

Granted, she wasn't quite used to the gloss on her lips that kept catching her hair, or the mascara making her eyelids feel slightly heavier than usual. Pepper Potts had come in clutch for her fifteenth birthday last month, introducing her to the world of nice makeup and proper hair-styling, and Charlie loved every bit of it. It wasn't like either of her dads had been able to teach her these things, and she felt a bit behind on teenage girl stuff.

She felt different, walking around alone in the streets of New York at night, short purple dress brushing the top of her knees- but it was so, so worth it.

Besides, tonight was... important.

Charlie felt her StarkPhone buzz in her pocket and she fumbled to pull it out, nearly crashing into a bystander at the speed she was going.

"Sorry, sorry," she said frantically, although the woman didn't seem to care- and Charlie couldn't wipe that dumb, goofy grin off her face. She quickly looked at her notifications, feeling her heart pound in her chest.

from: Pee-pee 🌝

- ru almost here

She grinned, her nails clicking on the screen as she typed out her response.