𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍: 𝐔𝐧𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐝

Song of the Chapter: She Knows, by J. Cole

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐈𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐌𝐀𝐃𝐄

After an eerily silent morning with three pairs of eyes trained on the floor, Tony and Charlie boarded a plan to Vienna, for a one-day trip and signing of the Accords.

Steve stayed behind, a stony, resolved look on his face.

Charlie knew her Pops well enough to know he was too angry to just sit by- her high meant he was planning something.

Tony still pressed a goodbye kiss to his cheek nonetheless.

Charlie, now sitting on one of the Stark-Rogers private planes, was stuffed into a tight pencil skirt, heels, a blouse, playing the part of Tony Stark's Assistant.

Tony sat across from her, hand resting on his fist, staring out the window.

"Other hand," Pepper said softly, tapping Charlie's palm.

Charlie quickly switched her right hand in Pepper's lap for the left, blowing on her freshly painted red nails to quicken the drying process. Pepper's fingers were cool and soft, her hair tumbling over her shoulders, catching the sun.

"You look pretty," Charlie said, her voice quiet. It almost felt weird to break the tense silence on the plane right now.

Pepper smiled at her. "Thank you. You do too. That shirt fits you well."

Charlie role her shoulders, her nose scrunching when she felt the tag scratch against her back. "Thanks. The tag is itchy as hell, though."

"I got it," Natasha said from behind them, carrying a martini down the aisle of the plane. She set it down and pulled a tiny, rather sharp looking knife from her sleeve, reaching for the tag and slicing it off. "All gone."

"How the hell did you hide that?" Charlie demanded, staring Nat down.

Nat just smiled, sitting next to Tony, sipping her Martini.

Tony stared at her. "Christ. I'm glad I'm not your enemy."

"You should be," Nat said smoothly. She glanced out the window. "We should be landing soon."

"Yup," Tony said. He didn't sound all that excited, though. The pain in his eyes was palpable; it was  the same thing making Charlie's stomach churn.

It felt wrong to do this without Steve.

"What does it mean," she asked quietly as Pepper walked back towards her seat, Charlie's nails freshly painted. "If Pops doesn't sign? What's gonna happen to us?"

"Nothing is going to happen to you," Tony said, still avoiding her eyes. "As for Pops... I don't know. He will probably have to retire as a member of the Avengers."