Korea (Chapter 6)

5 months ago...

"남쪽, 도망쳐! 초원으로 가! (South, run! Go to the meadow!)" North shouted desperately as he attempted to push the other country away from him and in the direction of the meadow, the safe haven to meet up again in.

"난 너 없이 떠나지 않을 거야! (I'm not leaving without you!)" South shouted back without a second's hesitation, gripping North's arm, not daring to let go.

A moment of silence passed between the Koreans as they stared at one another, South's eyes wide with unspeakable fears and North's eyes quickly scanning his fellow Korean's face for any sign of falseness. North could find none, which was expected from South but still felt great all the same. And for just a second there, the world didn't seem so bad. The Japanese invasion didn't feel so prominent in the peninsula for a short time. Because North was cared about. And that was so important to him.

So with a warm smile and a little nod, North replied in a small whisper. "네 바로 뒤에 있을게. (I'll be right behind you.)"

Only then did South let go of his arm and dart ahead, straight in the direction of the forest and the meadow several miles into the trees. North was quick to follow South, but wasn't as fast as his southern counterpart since North kept looking behind him at the whereabouts of the Japanese soldiers perusing them, trying to catch them. The Japanese Empire's goal was to capture the Korean countries so she'd be able to fully eradicate the Korean Peninsula and its people. The northern and southern Korean boys were just supposed to be pawns in Imperial Japan's worldwide game of chess. They were supposed to have lost hope of getting rid of the Japanese invaders already. They were supposed to be dead by now. But North was incredibly stubborn and South had the biggest heart you'll ever see. And both of them loved their people. 

Gaining full territorial control over Korea ended up proving harder for the Japanese Empire than she had originally expected. She understood from the second she met the two Korean boys that they would be difficult but she didn't care much; she just decided that the more they chose to annoy her, the harsher she would take their land and their people. So she ended up sending a good one thousand soldiers to the peninsula, they annoyed her that much. Imperial Japan figured that only one hundred soldiers could take over the land housing people with no way of defending themselves, but a thousand would at least make the job quicker. Boy, was she wrong. 

While the Korean people and the country itself couldn't defend against Imperial Japan's attacks, the northern and southern Koreas leading and controlling the country- who she really needed to capture to gain genuine full control over the territory she desired- were hard to catch. They ran quickly, they ran quickly every time her soldiers were actually able to find them in their hiding spots, they ran quickly even when Imperial Japan put a shortage on their available food in an attempt to make them weaker and, therefore, slower (which didn't work out how she wanted it to, she quickly discovered). The Korean boys ran from their newly discovered hiding spot to a new hiding spot for her soldiers to have to try and find once again. While they didn't necessarily run faster than all  of Imperial Japan's soldiers she sent to the peninsula, they certainly got a major speed advantage when it came to the territory. The two boys knew their territory extraordinarily well, even for countries- as all countries had a very basic layout of their full territory in mind, ready for use anytime a country needed help weaving through their land. The two heads of this Korean country, however, seemed to have every little fine detail encased in their mind. They seemed to know where every rock, every twig, every fallen log, every low-hanging branch, and every other feature of their territory would be before they were even near the obstacle. So, all of this was to say, the Korean boys weren't as easy to catch as the Japanese Empire originally expected.