Don't Lose Him (Chapter 14)

South sat on a stump, watching the orange flames of the campfire in front of him flicker. He tried to just appreciate the pleasant warmth and beautiful colors, not wanting to let his mind stray to his memories of what fire did to that village. 

America was out of the camp with Florida and Texas, trying to collect food, water, and other necessities while they had the chance to. Since the fight where America'd managed to capture the two Soviet states, South had since learned their names were Ukraine and Estonia, they'd been given several days of unexpected peace. Soviet and his army hadn't tried to make any more advances and South hadn't even heard of them and their current whereabouts recently. 

In South's hand was some chicken meat he'd just finished cooking over the fire, it was supposed to be his breakfast and he really should've been eating it, but he just didn't feel very hungry. California obviously did feel hungry, though, as she was tearing through her food like a starving lion at South's side. The Korean glanced at her for a moment before looking around the base for Alaska, soon spotting him crouched beside Ukraine and Estonia. 

The two Soviet states were chained at one ankle and one wrist, the chains were bound to each other so they'd have to be cooperative and coordinated with each other to escape, and the end of the chain was wrapped securely around a nearby tree. It'd be difficult for them to escape but not impossible, that was why America wanted an eye on them at all times around the base.

Surprisingly, Alaska had immediately bonded with the two. Alaska wasn't one for socializing, South and the large state had only shared a handful of sentences with each other. It'd make more sense if Texas or California had made the bond Alaska had, as both were very social and chatted with anyone who had ears, it seemed. Florida certainly was far from shy, he just didn't venture out to make new friends like Texas and California did. Alaska wasn't shy either, but he wasn't even talkative with his friends, he simply kept to himself quite a lot. 

That's why South hadn't expected for Alaska to get so instantly conversational with the captives, he'd even volunteered to keep watch for almost all the nights since their capture just to keep talking to them, which was slightly concerning given how little Alaska had slept recently. Alaska was sharing his piece of chicken that was supposed to be only his breakfast with the two Soviet states, who ate whatever Alaska gave them nearly as ravenously as California was eating her chicken. Of course they were hungry, America only fed them one meal a day, and calling it a meal was an overstatement based on how little food they were given. They were already excessively thin before capture as well, and South wondered if Soviet fed them just as poorly as America did. 

South looked at his chicken for a moment before sighing, it wasn't like he was actually going to eat it and it'd just go to waste anyways. He stood up, pulling it into two somewhat equal pieces as he walked over to Alaska and the two Soviet states. South crouched down right beside Alaska and handed him the two pieces of chicken. A smile broke out onto Alaska's face, an expression he'd only seen on the large state's face a few times. "Thank you, South. Did you eat any of it?" Alaska asked. South could now add two more sentences to the small list of times him and Alaska had talked to each other.

"Yep." South lied right through his teeth. He didn't want Alaska to be concerned for him, there was nothing wrong, South simply just wasn't hungry at the moment. Well, South kept telling himself that, at least.

Alaska nodded and handed one of the halves to Estonia, who'd previously been staring at South in surprise. Estonia took the half and immediately began to tear her way through it. Alaska tapped on the back of one of Ukraine's hands that were resting at his sides. The almost-blind country slowly turned his hand over and opened his palm, Alaska placed the chicken there once it was open. Ukraine took it, held it under his nose for a moment, before following suit of Estonia and eating it ravenously.