Tension (Chapter 11)

South Korea was a mess. There was silverware and broken dishes scattered around his kitchen. His hands were covered in his own blood, some of the glass from the dishes stuck in his knuckles. Perhaps punching and throwing around everything he could get his hands on was a bad choice, not that he thought that through beforehand.

It had just come to his knowledge that North Korea was now a separate country from him. This was no longer Korea, it was no longer one united country. The North was a communist dictatorship. South didn't even know what he was, but he knew he was a different country. He barely even knew what communism was. He was completely unaware that, in inviting America to his country, he was taking part in and feeding towards the civil war he had no idea was brewing. 

After wearing himself out by ruining his kitchen, South Korea had curled himself up into a tight ball in one of the corners of his small, square kitchen, laying on his side. The tiles beneath him were cold against the bare skin past the shorts on his legs and on his arms past sleeves of his t-shirt. He didn't mind the chill, though, as it was almost painfully cold on his skin after he'd worked up a higher body temperature than normal while he destroyed his kitchen. He was inviting the small pain of the cold and the huge pain of the glass in his knuckles. It felt good at that moment, feeling the hurt physically instead of mentally. It was a quick way to get some of the mental pain out of his system, that and the tears streaming from his eyes. Both helped.

Why had North Korea done this to him? Why did he leave him? South released a sob at the thought. He didn't understand any of this! What had he done to make North want to leave? He'd been so worried about North for nearly a year now, always going out to search for him. South was sure he'd covered all of the Korean Peninsula, starting from the border they shared with China and a little bit of the Soviet Union and working his way down. He'd thought that North was changing locations and was about to start at the northernmost point of the peninsula again when he felt it, the change.

The change felt like a huge rock was thrown at him and struck him right in the face. It was a change in power, a change in land, a change in population. He felt a piece of him being ripped away, he felt North being torn away from him. The slight connection the Koreans had always seemed to posses with one other was gone. South didn't even know he was able to feel the connection so much until it had left him.

South felt like screaming when he heard a knock at his front door. He didn't want to move, he wasn't even sure if he could make it very far. Nevertheless, he stumbled up to his feet, unable to help but wince as he stepped on the broken glass all over his kitchen floor with his bare feet. Within just a few steps, he was leaving bloody footsteps behind himself as he moved to stay closer to the wall. His vision was blurry from his tears and he pressed a palm onto the wall as he walked, using it as support when he had a particularly damaging thought or he stepped on a piece of glass that was sharper than the others, sharp enough that it caused his knees to buckle slightly with the pain.

Incredibly, South made it out of the kitchen fast enough that the person who'd knocked was only on their third rap at the door. He started walking towards the door much faster than he had in the kitchen, assuming it'd be easier without all the broken glass, but almost immediately slowed down and gripped onto the wall again. It still felt like he was walking on glass even though there was no glass under him. There must've been glass stuck in his feet. South gave a frustrated sob at this and the tears spilled faster. What was wrong with him to think that smashing glass all over the floor was a good idea? 

A forth knock came from his front door and South felt the urge to scream again. He wanted them to leave, he didn't want to see anyone. He wasn't even worried about letting someone see him like this, with tears streaming down down his cheeks and his own blood all over himself. That, however, wasn't on the front of his mind.