Part 10

You didn't want to overshadow Levi's going away party, but to avoid anyone thinking that you'd suddenly developed a beer gut and a distaste for wine, you let the secret slip towards the end of the afternoon.

There'd been cookies and cake and an office happy-hour. One that you couldn't partake in.

So when a few people had trailed out of the room and things were winding down, you told Carson and Levi and made Aarav and Simone practice their best we had no idea either faces.

But it couldn't have been much of a surprise. While you were still relatively small, there was an undeniable bump right above your hips, even Carson seemed to be excited for you.

Levi promised that it wasn't a big deal, you hadn't been unprofessional by not disclosing or waiting to tell him. He promised your job was safe and that when the time came, your maternity leave could be flexible and he'd even talk with Mike and Tracy if they gave you any grief.

Early August had brought a dry spell, the days were hot and traffic was just as bad as ever. You'd successfully finished your first week as Team Lead and most days ended with your feet feeling sore and your back in worse pain than ever. Monday consisted of moving offices. Tuesday was meeting with Mike and Tracy about updating responsibilities. Wednesday was a staff meeting and Carson only rolled his eyes once. Thursday you were nauseous and Simone moved into your old office. So on Friday when you parked your car a block down the street and walked back to your apartment, you didn't expect Jeff, Glenne, Harry, and Lexi to be inside.

"Surprise!" Lexi shouted, a grin on her face when you let your bag fall to the floor.

"Hi..." you looked around, confusion washing over your face. "What am I being surprised for?"

"We wanted to celebrate with you!" Glenne held up a bottle of sparkling cider and Harry shifted on the couch.

"Celebrate what?"

"Your first successful week as Team Lead!" Lexi reminded, walking over to take the bottle from Glenne. She brought it towards the kitchen to fetch glasses.

"It's not a big deal," you tried to say, pulling your hair out of your face and wiping the sweat from your forehead.

"Sure it is," Harry stood, coming over to drape an arm over your shoulders. "Calls for non alcoholic beverages!"

"And alcoholic beverages for us," Glenne chimed in again, pulling the door to the fridge open to reveal an actual bottle of champagne.

It'd been almost a week since you'd stayed at Harry's, woke up in the morning and actually experienced the delicious breakfast he said you'd missed last time. It wasn't as awkward as it could have been.

You followed him up stairs after a movie and fell asleep to the sounds of ocean waves, apparently he couldn't sleep in total silence. When he drifted off, you watched the way his eyelids fluttered, pulling him into slumber long before you faded.

2am, 3am, finally reprieve. You must have slipped into sleep eventually, because when you opened your eyes it was daytime. Slivers of sun peeking through the curtains that he'd drawn before climbing into the sheets beside you. Now, the bed was empty.

He'd already worked out and showered, set up his own makeshift omelet bar when you finally descended the stairs.

Breakfast, coffee, you read through drunk texts that Lexi had sent and watched their hilariously intoxicated snapchats and instagram stories. You showered in the guest bathroom and then he drove you home.