2

Ben sat on the side of Miranda's bed. He looked at his beautiful wife with head bandages from her brain surgery. "Dr. Bailey suffered severe head trauma. Her surgery went well, she had a cerebral edema and I reduced the pressure on her brain. She is in a coma and right now all we can do is wait because it's too soon to tell much of anything. " Derek said holding the clip board looking at Ben.

" So when will she wake up?" Ben asked.

"When people go into a coma it can go either way. She can recover fully or go into a vegetative state. I wish there was more I could tell you. " Derek said sadly.

Callie and Richard sat on the other side of the bed looking at Miranda with the cut on her lip and a scratch by her eye, nose and cheek. "Miranda wake up, I love you baby. Can you hear me ? …. This is not what we had planned. We were supposed to go on a beautiful trip and have a wonderful honeymoon. Then start our married life together. Powerful black couple, doctors." Ben said holding her hand.

"Well Ben, if you love her, you have a real crazy way of showing it." Callie said angrily.

" Ben I can't believe this." Richard spoke.

"I'm sorry Webber. I don't know what happened, I didn't mean to hurt her. I love her. I didn't…I didn't" Ben replied shaking his head.

"I know you didn't and I know you love her. We all do." Richard said.

"No, this all your fault! we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you." Callie yelled snappy.

"Torres you don't have the right to say that. Your wife was driving when you got into an accident. I didn't hear you blaming her. Now go take a walk." Richard yelled.

Callie then got up and walked out.

"Ben maybe you should go home and get some rest. I will call you if anything changes in her current condition." Richard stated.

"No-no I'm not leaving her. I promised her I wouldn't leave her and I'm not leaving her now." Ben said squeezing her hand.

"She wouldn’t understand. Just like you want what is best for her. She would want what is best for you." Richard pressed.

Ben looked up at him and rolled his eyes.
" I'm not leaving. That is what's best for me." Ben snapped frustrated.

Ben watched as the months slowly went by. He read sifi books to her, brushed her hair, clipped and painted her nails.

He even read through surgical procedures with her when he got off of work.

Those months turned into years and before he knew it three years flew by.

Ben laid beside her in the bed as Derek and Callie walked into the room.

"Ben I'm sorry to tell you this but Miranda is turning into a vegetative state and we need to discuss options. You need to consider taking her off life support and let Jesus take the wheel." Derek said cautiously.

"I'm not letting Jesus anywhere near our dam car. Science is driving. " Ben yelled.

"Now Ben you know she wouldn't want to be like this." Callie argued.

Ben thought back to him and Miranda laying together naked. Satisfied and wrapped up in each others embrace by the fire for Valentine's day. She called it the happiest place on earth. Weeks before they argued about staying on life support. “If something ever happens to me. I don't want to be hooked up with wires and machines, just unplug me, donate my organs and let me go.” Ben wanted the exact opposite, he wanted to try, he believed in miracles. She called him miracle man for months and at this point he wanted her to be a miracle woman.

"She didn't put it in writing so it's my decision. Now you both may leave." Ben said looking up at Miranda.

Ben fell asleep and was having a dream. He stood by their bed and watched them laying together. He had his arm wrapped around her waist and she rubbed his arm.

“If something ever happens to me, don't let them hook me up to anything. Nothing. You understand ? Just donate my organs and let me go.”

He watched as tears slid down her face and he saw himself talking. “If that's what you want … Okay.”

Okay she responded more tears fell out of her eyes.

Ben jolted awake and he sat up and looked at Miranda. He couldn't help the tears that poured from his eyes. " If that’s what you want okay baby. I will." Ben spoke softly choking up on his words.

Ben told Derek okay that he would abide by her wishes. He waited three days and he walked into the room. Ben sat beside her bed and held her hands. " Miranda please. I need you to give me another sign. If you want me to stick around and hang on. To not give up on you, on us. I want to do what you want but first please. I need you to raise two fingers. I need a sign. " He knew he sounded crazy but he begged.

Ben waited for almost an hour and he stared at her. This was too much for him. He was loosing the love of his life and the thought was unbearable.

" Miranda I just want you to know that I'm always going to love you baby. I'm always going to hold you in my heart." Ben cried.

" Good bye Miranda." Ben tearfully told her as he got up from the chair.

" Ben where are you going? it's time." Callie asked as Derek and her came into the room.

" I'm allowing you to do it but I'm not going to stick around and watch you snatch my heart and soul out of my chest. " Ben said as he walked out the door.

Ben got into his car and he sat in the parking lot. He began to slam his hand on the stirring wheel "ahhhh." Ben screamed "Damn it." He groaned as he put his head down on the wheel. His breathing was labored and his chest heaved up and down. He felt like his heart was going to burst.