Chapter 4. In your defence

Phoenix took his seat at his lonely desk, ready to settle down.
-Edgeworth, are you again pulling out the feathers in order of color? - Said a boy with red curls, passing by Miles, to tease him. Miles didn't answer him. Phoenix looked up from his notebook and looked at him -You there! Is it bothering you by any chance? I am not aware of it. So mind your business.
-Forget it- Miles told him, reaching out a hand to stop him. The red-haired boy shrugged. -You look weird when you do these things,- he said. - I just wanted to warn you. They will make fun of you if you do that, dude. ”He explained, with a wicked smile. Phoenix's gaze narrowed. - Listen, you're the weird one who's noticing it, no one here has noticed or seems bothered by it. So either you like Miles or you're a really nosy one! ”He muttered. The red-haired boy also turned red in the face. "Don't you dare give me fennel!" He shouted furiously. -Phoenix! - Miles shouted, in turn irritated. -Stop that!- Phoenix glared at him. -I'm not talking to you, Miles- he turned to the boy. -Look, these words try to keep them for yourself or I'll take you to the principal- -Hey, stop it- pleaded Miles, stepping in the middle, putting his hands on his hips. He wanted to avoid problems. -No one wants to insult anyone. And you can think of me what you want, I don't care ...- said Miles, who didn't want any trouble, turning to the redhead, whose name was Robert.

-Pff ... whatever you like- and he dropped heavily on his chair. Miles sat down too. Only such a rumor had to reach Mr. Von Karma: that another boy had defended him. It would beat me up, he thought, full of shame. He would have judged him incapable of defending himself. Phoenix, on the other hand, was really pissed off. What harm was there? He had defended him and that was the thank you, he said to himself as he sulkily opened the books. Grumpy, Miles didn't turn around all day. He only stood up when the math teacher called him, to solve a complex equation on the board. However, he was unable to solve it, because he did not understand mathematics well, and the teacher scolded him, as he expected more from a student like him, with his grades and references.

Phoenix, who did not excel in other subjects, saw his funny strength in numbers. There, in his notebook, unbeknownst to everyone, he had written the result, surrounded by a circle, and had returned to drawing. He was surprised to realize that Miles had not been able to solve an exercise that was so simple for him. Miles stood still listening to the professor's scolding, accompanied by the giggles of his classmates. Only Phoenix didn't laugh. Why wasn't he like the others? Why didn't he laugh, like everyone else? Feeling being watched, Phoenix raised his gaze and met Miles's. Realizing his predicament, she looked at him and gave him an imperceptible smile of encouragement. Everyone had a weakness and he knew it well. Miles looked away and returned to his place. Phoenix kept looking for a connection between them that no longer existed. "But if it doesn't exist why did you keep that red keychain?" At the end of the lesson the professor looked at them -Wright, Edgeworth, come out with me please. Phoenix looked up in amazement. He didn't feel like he had done anything wrong. Miles ran his hands over his face. What was going on? Docile, he got up and followed the teacher. Had someone informed the professor about the disagreement between classmates that took place before the lesson? -Wright, I checked your previous report cards and Edgeworth's. Equations aside- he said, staring at Miles - you are the best student and I need you to take care of student documents for me - -I just arrived and I have to worry about my studies. My stepfather will not be happy with this- he warned him, crossing his arms. -Mr. Von Karma, if he had wanted his godson to be treated with gloves, he would not have enrolled him in a public school. - he put the package in his hands. -I can do it myself, professor- Phoenix interjected. -Do not joke. I asked both of you, Wright. It is only one afternoon, I do not think I am asking an impossible thing of Master Edgeworth. In fact, you could take the opportunity to explain the latest math topic to him. I know perfectly well that you have solved the exercise- he said staring at him. Miles turned to Phoenix. -Is it true? - he asked, admired. -Have you ... solved the equation? -
Phoenix looked away and took the file from his hands -Let him find it on the desk at the end of the day- he muttered, trying to divert the conversation -But ... and Ziska? I have to accompany my sister ...- Miles explained, worried. -I do not care. Good day- said the professor walking away with a proud step - Ignore him - Phoenix said laconically -I think about it alone during the lessons, you can go on. The boy hesitated, a sign that he was seriously considering the proposal. But then he joined him. -I will go away only to accompany my sister .- he explained. -What do we have to do?- -Mha ...- Phoenix said, leafing through the package. -List of students, classroom arrangement, compiling emergency plans- sighed. - paperwork. I will have to warn that I will be late for work today- He sat down. He had his eyes rolled up to heaven, imagining that Mr. Von Karma would not appreciate being late. Yet he was right: if he had cared for him and Franziska he would not have enrolled them in a public school. Those words still hurt. Phoenix looked at him. -Look Miles, I can see you're annoyed. Go away, I can handle it myself. I've done this several times and I'm fast. Take your sister home- He frowned. -You don't think I'm capable, do you? he said, crossing his arms. -Diamine, don't be a prima donna and take my advice. I understand that your stepfather is not a soft one and I have no one waiting for me- he snorted. Miles sat down. -I don't even think about it- she said, challenging him with her eyes. -I'm not the type to hold back- Silence weighed between them, in the teachers' room. A window was open, and a cool breeze invaded the room. -Do whatever you like. Better get to work then- he said while dividing the sheets. And he who wanted to be kind and avoid problems!
He pretended to be bored, but deep down he was happy: they would finally spend time together.

Hi guys. Let me know if you like this story and if I should post the next updates. :)