A new ribbon

The next day, Violet does as she says and she sends myself and Daphne, as well as Eloise, out to the town to buy accessories and trinkets to decorate ourselves with. Eloise, rather reluctantly, invites her friend to come along too. A beautiful and lively girl, but I do now understand the comment that Benedict made about the colour scheme she wears.

"Penelope, it is so lovely to meet you." She smiles at me, thrusting her hand forwards so I might shake it. I do, and she beams at me. "We have never met before, have we? I do not recall..."

"We have not." I reassure her, and she seems a little relieved as I tell her this. It would be a rather awkward situation for her if it had turned out we had met before and she had simply forgotten me. "It is just lovely to meet you too."

We do not spend too long in town for Daphne and myself must meet Violet at the modiste too, and so the search for feathers is cut quite short. "We were discussing last night how nervous we were, Penelope. Do you find that you are as well?"

"Oh, certainly. I feel as though my heart has leaped into my throat every time I begin to talk about it!" She exclaims with character.

"Myself and Matilda were saying how it is rather nice that we are all doing it together, though. Entering society at the same time." Daphne smiles, as she runs her hands through a bunch of ribbons.

"Yes, we shall be able to cheer each other on in our victories and commiserate each other in our woes." I follow Daphne's lead and have a quick browse through this stand, conscious of the time and even more conscious of how Violet shall react if we are late.

"I have no doubt that either of you shall find husbands. You are both quite beautiful." Penelope frowns, as though she does not judge herself on the same level as myself or Daphne. However, she quickly snaps herself out of this, returning to look at me with a happy smile once again. "You shall be married right away, the diamonds of the season!"

"You are quite beautiful too, Penelope." I compliment her and watch as her cheeks burn a little red, like she has never received a compliment before. "You shall not have any struggles, none of us shall."

"Yes, well it is not all about beauty." Eloise now speaks up, loudly and forcefully. "You should be looking for a husband who likes a woman with a brain, or perhaps you should not be looking for a husband at all. But rather focusing on educating yourselves! You could go to university-"

"Not all of us have the luxury of thinking of things such as that, Eloise." I find her a little irritating. I found her so when we were children as well. She was not quite like Anthony but I certainly do recall that she liked to be involved in everything and she got quite angry when she was wrong. I glance around, and then to Daphne. "Shall we head towards the modiste? I believe it to be about the right time and I should hate to leave your mother waiting."

"You are right." Daphne is polite as she purchases herself a new ribbon, looking to Eloise and Penelope and bidding them goodbye.

"I am sure I shall see you soon, Penelope, but it was lovely to meet you." I smile, giving the pair of them a little wave, as we now wander over to the modiste. I have not been fitted by a modiste before, or at least not properly. The dresses I wore recently were ones that belonged to my mother, and so even though they were sentimental to me, I did look forward to gaining a new set of clothes to display in my wardrobe. The dress shop is beautiful, and I cannot decide upon what I wish to wear. "There is simply so much choice."

"Oui, mon cherie." The modiste approaches me, as Daphne and her mother rifle through to find something for her to wear. "I 'ave only ze best. Anything you choose, I am sure you shall look tres bon."

"Is there anything you might suggest?" I gaze around, overwhelmed by the options that I am presented with. "What shall impress the queen?"

"'Ow about zis one?" She guides my attention over to a delicate lace, with small purple flowers embroidered into it. Her hands run over it, lifting so that I can see the detailing, and smiling as I nod emphatically. "It shall be ze most beautiful gown you 'ave ever owned, my dear. You do not need to worry, you are in very safe 'ands."

Violet comes to supervise the material I have chosen, nodding in approval.

I get back to the Bridgerton house and I am desperate to try the dress on. So, carefully, I take it from the box and lay it out on the bed. I undress myself, standing in only my underwear when the door creaks open and I am greeted by wide eyes and a crooked grin.

"Matilda. Well..." Benedict puts a hand to his mouth, scratching his chin to disguise his smile. He does not stop looking at me, not until he looks at my face and realises I am desperately scowling at him. "I came to tell you dinner is ready."

"There is this thing, Benedict. A new invention, called knocking. Perhaps you might try it next time!" I clutch my new dress to my chest to cover myself. He does not say anything else, and so I pick up one of my shoes and launch it at him.

He ducks, closing the door shut behind him with one last look and a toothy grin.