Dancing with no music

Benedict is sat in there, as Anthony said, with a sketchbook in front of him. "Hey. Do you mind if I take a seat?"

"Come on in, sit down. By the side of me, that shall be nice." Benedict makes the effort to pull the chair out for me, patting it softly. He closes the sketchbook, though, before I can see a thing.

"Are you hiding something from me?" I narrow my eyes slightly, putting my hand onto the book and attempting to snatch it away from him, but his strength outweighs mine easily and he grips it back, tucking it underneath his arm so that I cannot attempt to get to it again.

"Hiding something? No, I am simply not done with it yet and I shall not show my art until I am happy with it. That is all." He smiles down at me, the boom securely pinned to his body. "I wish to apologise to you."

"For what? Whatever have you done?" I look at him with suspicion, exclaiming a little. "You have done something outrageous to one of my dresses or put a spider in my hair? Do you still think that things such as that are funny?"

"No, no. Not quite that. My humour nowadays way surpasses decorating your head with insects. I wish to apologise for what I said, and the way I acted earlier. It is inappropriate of me. We are not children any longer, we cannot do whatever we please without consequences, as you said. This Lady whistledown is sure to have my head if she witnesses anything improper!" He flashes me a handsome grin. "I shall stop it at once."

"I suppose so."

"After all, we are simply friends. We should not wish for anyone to construe that we are anything more, correct?" Benedict keeps his smile but is no longer looking at me, focusing his eyes across the table. Of course, I know what he says is true, but it still stings slightly to hear him say it so painfully truthful. I hoped he felt the same way, but he cannot, and I realise that any admiration I had for him is certainly not reciprocated. That is okay, it is okay, but I almost did not need to hear him say so, but rather live in my own fairytale world for a while where he might too feel there is something more. I nod in response. "Good, yes, well. It is lady Danbury's ball tonight, your first ball. Are you excited?"

"For all the old men who shall fancy me to sweep me off my feet and insist they shall dance with me?" I grimace, as it does settle with me that I shall actually be forced to find a husband. I had not really imagined my life in London outside of staying with the Bridgertons. "No, I am not excited."

"Yes, but you shall get to dress up and look beautiful, and you shall get to have some fine champagne and if you are ever so lucky, I might save a dance for you too."

"Oh, I shall be so lucky? I bet you could not dance a waltz to save your life, you are overconfident."

"Oh, could I not?" Benedict stomps to his feet, pushing his chair out with some force and throws his book onto one of the other seats for safekeeping. He then stands in a ready dance position, holding his hand towards me to indicate that I must join him. When I do not nove instantly, he raises an eyebrow. "What? I cannot demonstrate my outstanding dancing skills by myself now, can I?"

"I do think it would be funny to see you try, though." Relucntantly, I stand up and join him, putting my hands where they are supposed to be and standing with the right posture. "There is no music, how shall I know what beat you wish for me to follow?"

"You shall just have to pay attention to me then, will you not?" He steps towards me so that I must step backwards, and we begin from there. He holds my waist, and we dance for a few seconds before he decides he shall spin me around. Benedict lifts my arm highly so that he can turn me, but it does not quite go as well as he hoped as I fall forward and our heads butt together. I squeak with a giggle as he chuckles and rubs my head lightly. "Oh dear, well at least I know that I shall not be spinning you this evening."

"I think that sounds a good idea, I shall have to spend longer preparing my face now though, for I am sure I must have a big red bump!" I chuckle back at him, as he holds me in his arms again and continues to dance with me, both of us laughing happily.

"Yes well perhaps I shall give you another if you are not careful!" He lifts his arm as though to spin me again, playfully wrestling with me as he attempts to force me to spin, but I wrestle back. "Spin, won't you!"

Daphne clears her throat and I turn quickly around to look at her. For a moment, Benedict thinks it's a success in him getting me to spin, but when he sees his sister, his smile fades a little.

"Oh, uh, I think it is your time to bathe now." Daphne hesitates, standing there. "Uh, hello benedict."

"Hello, dear sister. I think uh, it shall be goodbye as well." Benedict moves from me and takes his sketchbook, excusing himself from the room.

Daphne looks at me, but does not say another word and so neither do I, strolling past her and upstairs to the bathroom.

💗 Author's note 💗

Hi! Sorry for the upload dump today. Just wanted to get a few chapters out and ready so you guys can decide whether you want to read on or not! Plus, as soon as I've written a chapter, I literally can't help sharing, I'm so impatient and literally can't pace myself 😭✋

All my love,

Ruby xx