•Chapter six•

~Skin~

———————————

Dean pulled the impala right beside a gas tank at a gas station as Sam read emails on his phone, and August looked around in her car seat.

"Alright." Dean started as he turned off the engine. "I figure we'd hit tucumcari by lunch, then head south, hit bisbee by midnight." Dean said, then looked over at Sam seeing he wasn't paying attention. "Sam wears women's underwear."

"I'm listening. I'm just busy." Sam stated.

"Busy doing what?" Dean questioned.

"Reading e-mails." Sam stated as dean opened his door and got out.

"E-mails from who?" Dean asked before making his way around the impala to the gas pump.

"From my friends at Stanford." Sam said.

"You're kidding. You still keep in touch with your college buddies?" Dean said as he grabbed the gas nozzle.

"Why not?" Sam questioned.

"Well..." Dean started, then made his way back around to Sams side. "What exactly do you tell them, you know, about where you been, what you been doing?" He questioned, just before he saw august reaching for him through her rolled down window.

Dean smiled at her and reached into the window, playing with her.

"I tell them I'm on a road trip with my big brother and his daughter. I tell them I needed some time off after Jess." Sam stated to his big brother.

"Well, so you lie to them." Dean said.

"No." Sam shook his head. "I just don't tell them everything."

"Yeah. That's called lying." Dean stated. "Hey, man, I get it. Telling them the truth is far worse."

"So what am I supposed to do, just cut everybody out of my life?" Sam asked.

Dean made a face, then slightly shrugged.

"You're serious?" Sam questioned.

"Look, it sucks. But in a job like this, you can't get close to people, period." Dean said.

"You're kind of antisocial. You know that?" Sam told him.

"No, I'm not. Tell him august, say 'Daddy is not antisocial.'" Dean leaned into the window to his daughter making her smile widely at him.

Dean chuckled and kissed her head before pulling out of the window.

"God." Sam said after a moment of silence.

"What?" Dean asked, leaning down into Sams window.

"This e-mail from this girl Rebecca Warren, one of those friends of mine." Sam said. "I went to school with her and her brother Zach. She says Zachs been charged with murder." He told dean. "He's been arrested for killing his girlfriend. Rebecca says he didn't do it. But it sounds like the cops have a pretty good case."