•Chapter three•

~Dead in the water~

______________________________

Dean sat at the table, circling things on newspapers with a pen.

August laughed and clapped her hands from her carrier making Dean look over and smile at her.

Dean picked up a fry and tore off a small piece, feeding it to the baby, just before the waitress came over, leaning against the table.

"Can I get you anything else?" She asked.

Dean looked up at her, then back at his baby.

"Just the check, please." Sam said as he came up to their table.

He could see dean wasn't interested in this lady, but apparently she didn't see it.

It was still way too early for dean.

"Okay." The waitress nodded and walked off.

Dean didn't say anything, he just kept feeding French fries to August.

"You okay?" Sam asked his big brother.

"Yep." Dean nodded. "Here, take a look at this. I think I got one." Dean set the newspaper in front of Sam. "Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin— last week, Sophie Carlton, 18, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out." Dean explained. "Authorities dragged the water— nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third lake manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found, either. They had a funeral two days ago."

"A funeral?" Sam questioned.

"Yeah. They buried an empty coffin for closure or whatever." Dean said.

"Closure? What closure?" Sam questioned him. "People don't just disappear, Dean. Other people just stop looking for them." He stated.

"Something you want to say to me?" Dean asked, his elbow on the table, and his other hand on his thigh.

"The trail for dad— it's getting colder every day." Sam said.

"Exactly. So, what are we supposed to do?" Dean questioned him.

"I don't know. Something. Anything." Sam shook his head.

"You know what? I'm sick of this attitude." Dean told him. "You don't think I want to find dad as much as you do?"

"Yeah, I know you do—"

"I'm the one that's been with him every single day for the past two years while you've been off to college going to pep rallies." Dean said. "We will find dad, but until then, we're gonna kill everything bad between here and there, okay?" He told his little brother.

Dean turned back to his daughter, playfully gasping at her and bringing his hands up to tickle her.

"Alright, lake manitoc." Sam said.

He noticed dean was smiling, tickling august who was laughing, he couldn't help but smile.

"Hey." He said.