I: Prolgue/ Exposition

You are an only child and live on a small farm on the outskirts of town. It's not too far from all the hustle and bustle of town life but far enough that it can get pretty lonely. Your mother raises animals and grows herbs and different flora for the town which is how she can help supply the celebration. Because of your frequent illnesses, your main companions are the farm animals.

You wake up to the sound of birds chirping near your window. It is a bright sunny day which is fantastic because today is the day of the Madrigal ceremony. The whole town has been talking about it for weeks. Your mamá is the most excited as she was to bring the flowers for the celebration. She has known Señorita Alma Madrigal for a long while especially since they had been childhood friends and ran away together when their town was destroyed. That's why when given the opportunity, she leaped for joy at the chance to help with the party for Alma's three children: Julieta, Pepa, and Bruno.

You were always sick so you had never gotten the chance to meet them all personally, but you have heard plenty of stories from people who came to visit you, including Alma herself.

But you feel okay this time so Mamá allows you to attend! You are thrilled!

"Just think! I will finally be able to meet the fabled Madrigals!" You think to yourself .
"Y/n!! Come down here! I have a surprise for you!" Mamá calls.

You slowly walked down the stairs as not to get winded and in front of you stands the most beautiful dress you have ever seen in your 5 years of being alive. It is a bright shade of pink that faded into sections of orange and purple. At the bottom is embroidered swirls of light and dark blue, copying the waves of the ocean. The top has a line of frills with small seagulls on it. And finally, around the waist is a thin but long pink ribbon that you use to tie in the back.

"Oh mamá!! I love it!! Muchas muchas gracias!!!"
"Of course, mi niña. Come on, go get ready. We have to leave soon."
Little do you know at age 5 how much that night will affect you for the rest of your life. But still, you think to yourself now, you wouldn't change a thing.