XIV: Vida y Muerte

A couple months after Isabella had her first birthday, Pepa and Félix had a little girl, and they named her Dolores after  Félix had joked that Pepa had been in so much pain before the birth and during it that they hadn't seen sunshine for a week.  Pepa didn't talk to Bruno much after the wedding.  Anytime they passed each other in the house, Bruno would try to say something, but Pepa would hmph and keep walking.  You could tell how much it was affecting him: his eyes had gotten darker, and he'd even gotten a gray hair.  You sit in the nursery with Dolores in your arms and watching Isabella color when Bruno comes in.  He opens the door and leans against the frame, watching you.
"You know," he starts, "y-you're really good with children.  Anytime I try to play with them, they just cry."
"Maybe you're doing it wrong. Come sit by me." You tap the floor next to you.
"Isa, can you build something for Tío Bruno? I think he wants....a rat!"
Isabella's eyes light up, and she grabs a gray crayon and gets to work.  After a few minutes, she hands Bruno a piece of paper.
"I-it's very nice um...abstract art, kiddo," he says making a slightly confused face at the tornado of crayon that looks nothing like a rat.  Isabella starts laughing.  Apparently, it's a funny enough expression to die of laughter.  The sound of her laughter makes Bruno smile.
"You're pretty good with kids too," you say. "You just have to believe in yourself."
"Y-yeah I guess..." He scooches behind you and wraps his arms around you, nestling into the crook of your neck.  You put your head on his, feeling his hair mold around your face and tickle your nose.

"p-bno" Isa babbles.
"What?"
"b-boono. buno"
"Oh my gods, she's saying Bruno." you smile and look to the side at Bruno who is staring at Isabella in awe and shock.
"S-she...she said my name. She said my name! JULIETA!" Bruno jumps up and runs out the door.  You giggle as you hear yelling and scrambling and not a few seconds later, Bruno returns with Julieta and Agustín.  He rushes over to Isa and gets onto his knees.
"W-what's my name, Isa?"

"to buno bbrrrbrr"
Agustín gasps and starts crying.  Julieta covers her mouth and looks so proud.  But no one is happier than Bruno.  He looks so close to just turning into a puddle on the floor.  He radiates joy, and you can feel it coming off him.

2 years later

You have officially become full time babysitter at Casa de Madrigal.  Your mother, more often than not, joins you at the house after she found some townspeople who were willing to help work the farm.  After another child being born, this one another daughter named Louisa, your hands are really full.  With the family being out most of the day, it's up to you to keep a now 3 year old Isabella and a 2 year old Dolores occupied while keeping up with Louisa's demanding schedule.   Wow, does she eat a lot.  Luckily for you, your mother helps with the feeding and the messes and when she can't, Bruno does.  He rarely goes into town anymore, but it doesn't seem to bother him since he's always smiling at you and the kids.  And it's a genuine smile. Every time.

"OW uckh" you hear from the kitchen.  You rush over, baby in hand, to your mother grabbing onto a chair and bending over.
"Mamá! Are you okay!?"
"I heard a noise. Is everyone alright?" Bruno runs in.
"Aye, sí hija, don't worry.  My stomach just started hurting."
"Come, I'll help you sit Señora L/n," Bruno says, holding your mother's hand.
"Gracias, Bruno.  Niña, give me Louisa. I can take care of her while sitting down.  You go deal with those two little trouble-makers."
"But Mamá, I don't want you to-"
"Nonsense. Don't worry, I'm fine."

You hand her Louisa and go to find Isabella and Dolores.  Before you exit the kitchen you hear your mother say "You've seen it, haven't you..." to Bruno.  You don't know what she's talking about but the children first.  You find them outside in the backyard playing with the grass by the fountain.  You remember that fountain from the night of the party.  You were 20 then and now you're 26. Wow, how time flies.
"Hop on, chiquitas," you say as you pull them both onto a piggy back ride.  You get in the house with girls on your back laughing and screaming and Bruno walks out of the kitchen.
"Everyone say hi to Tío Bruno."
"Hola, Tío!" they both say.
"Bruno, what was my mom talking to you about?"