Chapter 63: Time Together

"Nick?" she whispered in his dark room.

It was hardly past eleven at night, but they were already in bed. After taking a couple of hours to disappear into a world where nothing was wrong, Molly wanted to return to the hospital for another short visit. She had felt guilty for practically running out of the building earlier.

"Hmm?" He ran his fingers through her hair while his eyes remained closed.

Slightly lifting her head off his chest, she asked, "You up?"

"Yeah, I'm up. What is it, lovely?" he asked half-asleep.

She rested her head back on him. "What's the point?"

"Of what?"

She walked her fingers across his chest. "Of life. Why am I here? Why are you here?"

He opened his eyes. "Thoughts keeping you up?"

"Why are we together?"

"What do you mean?"

She rolled to her side, coming across from him. "Do you ever not take things for granted and question how you ended up where you are? Question why specific things are important to you?"

"Molly?"

"Yeah, I know, I think I'm tired. Ignore me."

"No. What are you asking?"

"I don't even know."

"Are you questioning why we're together?"

"No, you doofus." She half-laughed. "I'm questioning why I'm built in such a way that I'm capable of having such intense emotions for someone."

He sighed. "Jeez, Mols. Why scare me like that? Shit."

"Are you kidding me? You must be beat to get to this level of stupid, Nickie."

He pulled her on top of him. "You're the one questioning out loud why we're together."

"Yeah, as in what's the reason we're together? Why are we pulled toward one another?"

He shook his head. "No, that's not what, 'why are we together' asks, love. You need to learn how to phrase your questions to more accurately present what you're actually asking so I don't lose my breath for a minute."

"I'm sorry. I thought you were able to read my thoughts by now."

"I'm not far from it, but I'm bound to be mistaken at times."

She closed in for a kiss. "Did I really scare you?"

"Yes."

"I'm sorry."

"You should be. My heart is still racing."

She laughed and hugged him. "I'm sorry." She kissed his cheek multiple times. "I'm sorry, honey."

He smiled and guided her lips to his.

"Huh? Were you just messing with me?"

"No, I was serious," he answered with a smile still present. "I'm just enjoying the comforting I'm receiving now."

She sighed and shifted on him. "Nickie."

"Yeah."

"Go back to sleep. I woke you before, didn't I?"

"No. I'm wide awake."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"You want to talk?"

He brought his hand to the back of her neck. "Aren't we doing that?"

"Remember that one time we were supposed to have some hot cocoa downstairs for a late-night talk, but we didn't end up doing it?"