ONE

Magnolia Prewett considered herself to be a rather simple girl. She enjoyed simple things, starting with peace and quiet. Being the middle child in a redheaded family of six was certainly not an easy feat. Her twin brothers, Fabian and Gideon, were in their fifth year, and notorious for causing trouble. Meanwhile, her sister Molly had already wed and had three boys of her own.

That left Magnolia. She wasn't married or a troublemaker, she was simply well, Magnolia. She often felt as though she was the 'black sheep' of the family, seeing as she was the only one sorted into Hufflepuff. Of course there was nothing wrong with the house that values kindness and loyalty, but it simply was just not Gryffindor. The pureblood Prewett family had been sorted into the garnet-clad house for decades. Her parents would never actually voice their disappointment, but it was clear that they wished her to be more her siblings.

The Hogwarts Library was Magnolia's absolute favorite place in the castle. It was partly due to the fact that peace and quiet was mandatory.  She would frequently curl up in her favorite cozy armchair by the gigantic window, and gaze out at the grounds.  The term had started just a couple weeks before, yet Magnolia thought it best to do some light reading on Charms. Despite the unfair stereotypes, Magnolia believed not all Hufflepuffs were complete and total nutters, and she was very well capable of being intelligent, thank you very much.

Magnolia thumbed through the pages of her book with ease, her vivid green eyes skimming over the fine text that was printed uniformly upon the aging parchment. She wore a colorful yet toasty knit jumper that her sister had made for her. Her flaming auburn hair cascaded over her shoulders in waves, catching someone's eye, unexpectedly as she continued to read.

Sirius Black did not really feel guilty whatsoever for the prank he was about to pull in the library. He knew that it would be hilarious, and that all the prats sitting inside really ought to loosen up. The other Marauders, of course, would agreed wholeheartedly with him. The boy's grey eyes quickly scanned the room, looking around to observe all of the students that were about to fall victim to their harmless prank. A chubby blonde Ravenclaw, a stuck up looking Slytherin, and bloody hell— who is she?

Sirius could not help but stare, dumbfounded, at the redhead girl that was peacefully reading a book. Her nimble body was curled up in an armchair by the window. She looked absolutely breathtaking, and he longed to go introduce himself to her. He had to know her.

"Snuffles!" hissed the voice of James, his goofy best friend. "They're about to go off, let's get the hell out of here mate!"

"Er—yeah, right," Sirius replied apprehensively, tearing his eyes off of the beauty to leave the library. Part of him felt guilty, a girl that beautiful didn't really deserve to smell like dragon dung the rest of the day.

Just as James and Sirius strided out of the library, he heard the booming sound of various Dung Bombs detonating simultaneously. Sirius caught a brief glimpse of the brown gas filling the room over his shoulder before James tugged on his arm. The two ducked under his Invisibility Cloak and disappeared out of sight.

Magnolia was utterly fuming when the sound of Dung Bombs exploding tore her from her exquisite book. She watched in horror as the disgusting gas erupted into the air, as well as the putrid smell that made her nose scrunch. She hurried to grab her book, pinching her nose as she ran to the grand mahogany doors.

Standing outside the library, she collected herself, and realized that she smelled absolutely atrocious now. Magnolia scowled in disgust, brushing off her multicolor sweater in attempt to rid herself of the stench.

A couple of other students stumbled out of the library, clutching their noses before hurrying down the corridor chattering.

The sound of muffled laughter suddenly caught her attention and she turned to look for the source. There was nobody there, that was, until she looked down to see two pairs of black shoes with ankles that mysteriously disappeared. She hesitantly stepped forward as they continued to snicker.

"Who's there?" she called out cautiously, reaching for her wand.

"Oh, shit, I thought you cast the Silencing charm you idiot!" a voice whispered.

"No Prongs, I thought you did!"

Magnolia furrowed her brow before stepping forward with her hand out and grasping onto silky, cloth-like material. She pulled firmly and came face to face with James Potter and Sirius Black. Of course the Marauders would pull something like this. The Marauders were a group of notorious pranksters, as well as the most popular boys in Magnolia's grade. She was certain the only one who bothered learning her name was Remus Lupin.

"Er—Hello there!" James greeted brightly while looking slightly nervous. He had brilliantly green eyes and very messy hair.

"It was you two, wasn't it?"

"Can't say I know what you're talking about, love," the other boy, Sirius, spoke up. He was a couple inches taller and had startlingly grey eyes.

"You know nothing about Dung Bombs?" she asked smartly, raising an apprehensive eyebrow as the two looked to each other.

"We er—yeah we may have had something to do with that," James said guiltily with a big smile on his face.

"Yeah, well thanks a lot. Now I smell like literal dragon shit!" Magnolia quipped, crossing her arms over her chest with an angry huff.

"Right. Sorry about that, here," Sirius stated before whipping out his wand and muttering a spell under his breath. The lingering smell of dung magically disappeared from her body.  Instead, she could faintly smell her vanilla perfume.

She flicked her eyes up to meet his tan, chiseled face. Magnolia wanted to curse, no wonder every girl swooned over him. Their eyes clashed brilliantly, silver steel on sweet green. She swore she felt her heartbeat quicken, but surely that was just a figment of her imagination. Magnolia mumbled a thank you before turning abruptly on her heel to leave.

"Wait! What's your name?" called out Sirius, the sound of his footsteps trodding on the floor echoing behind her.

The redhead stared him down fiercely.

"Magnolia," she informed him at last.

"I'm Sirius Black," the grey-eyed boy declared smugly, sticking out a large hand towards her.

Magnolia eyed it with distaste. "I know who you are. We've been at Hogwarts together for seven years,"

"Blimey, is that right?" he marveled. "I feel like I'd most certainly remember you,"

"Evidently not, Black." she retorted before setting down the corridor once more, leaving the boy standing in place.

"By the way, you both are far too tall for that cloak, I could totally see your big feet," she added as her loafers tapped upon the cobblestone floor.

"Are you joking? Oh for fuck's sake!" James exclaimed in disbelief as she turned and headed in the direction of the kitchens.

Sirius gazed as her figure retreated, admiring her fiery locks of hair and her figure before she disappeared out of his sight. Right then and there, he decided he just had to get to know Magnolia.

✯¸.•'*¨'*•✿ ✿•*'¨*'•.¸✯

author's note:
hi all! sorry for the delay on chapter one. sadly my cat passed away & i had uni start back up so its been chaotic. in this book im really going to try and switch up povs and work on my writing skills, so dont mind me playing around with both sirius and magnolia. also, this fic will be a bit short and sweet compared to my others, so expect around 1200-1500 words per chapter. additionally there will be no "parts" to this.
thanks so much for your reading & supporting me!!!