TWELVE

"I'm just saying, I did not expect him to be so well endowed!" exclaimed Hestia as she continued ranting about her hookup with a Gryffindor guy from the other night that was apparently a total mystery.

Magnolia sat on a stool in the Potions dungeon as Hestia stood chatting with her.

"You really can't tell me who?" demanded Magnolia, twirling a lock of flaming hair. "It's not Peter is it?"

"She's obviously talking about me of course,"

Sirius grinned as he dropped his rucksack, flicking his dark locks out of his face as he sat down beside her.

Magnolia's eyes grew wide as she swatted his shoulder from where she sat. "Hello to you too, Black,"

"Back to a last name basis already, Prewett?" he gasped with mock-sadness. "That's no way to treat your darling boyfriend,"

"Darling is a bit overkill," she teased before turning her attention back to Hestia who observed the two with a quirked brow.

"What's wrong, Jones?" questioned Sirius as he flicked his wand to produce a flame beneath their pewter cauldron.

"Nothing, it's just—weird to see you guys as an actual couple. A little nauseating actually," she replied, adjusting her satchel on her shoulder. "Just know if you hurt her, I'll beat you to a pulp with my Beater's bat, Black,"

"Harsh words, yet duly noted," he feigned.

Hestia huffed before striding off to her work bench.

"Could you try to get along with her?"

"She's got it out for me!"

Magnolia let out a little laugh at this before retrieving her textbook.

"Hello class!" greeted Slughorn, looking extra merry. "Today we will be brewing the Wolfsbane potion before we break for Christmas holiday,"

Magnolia swore she felt Sirius stiffen beside her.

"Page one hundred and twenty two in your textbooks,"

The two got to work quickly and Magnolia watched Sirius drop moonwort leaves into the cauldron.

"So, Christmas holiday," she began. "Will you be spending it with the Potters?"

"Most likely," Sirius replied, seemingly glum.

"Well I'm sure my family would be more than willing to have you—only if you'd like to, of course—"

His head perked up, silver eyes hopeful. "Are you sure?"

She nodded with a soft smile.  "It would make the holidays far more bearable if you're around. Maybe bringing a boy home will finally make me interesting,"

Sirius scoffed as she carefully crushed the Quicksilver with a pestle into a fine black powder.

Meanwhile, he dumped the aconite into the cauldron, causing a plume of blue smoke to erupt. The two coughed and plugged their noses.

"Ah, Ms. Prewett, Mr. Black," beamed Slughorn as he made his rounds. "Excellent job as usual! Just don't forget the myrrh!"

"Thank you sir!"

"Say, how would you two care to join me at my Christmas Party this weekend?"

Magnolia looked to Sirius, who shrugged.

"Certainly, Professor, we'd be delighted," she beamed over enthusiastically.

"Fantastic! Look for my owl!"