Chapter Thirty-Three: Bliss and Fear

Vespera

“You’re so grown up, Vespera,” Terentia smiled at me. I was sitting in my room while my mother and sister helped me get ready for my wedding.

Mother was pinning my hair up. “She’ll make a beautiful bride.” I thought I heard her voice quiver, as if she was about to cry, but I wasn’t sure. When she finished, she came over in front of me. For the first time, I noticed wrinkles around her eyes and mouth, signs that she had smiled a lot. Right now, however, she looked somber. “Saying good-bye to another daughter,” she whispered.

I shook my head. “No, Mother. It’s not like that. Anyway, Marcus’s house isn’t far away from here. You’ll still see me.” It was a half-hearted lie; we hardly saw Terentia anymore since she was married. She had her own family, with a child and another on the way.

Mother shook her head. “No, I won’t,” she said, and a tear escaped her eye. Terentia saw that she was distressed and was right by her side.

“Mother, why don’t you go with Father and I’ll finish helping Vespera get ready,” Terentia suggested, helping her up and guiding her to the door. When she left, Terentia came back with a soft smile on her face.

“You and Marcus will make a wonderful pair,” she said as she sat down in front of me. She grabbed the rouge and began to apply it to my lips. “I was so nervous on my wedding day. I hoped I could make Cyrus happy, and I hoped he would make me happy as well. And it was my first time being away from home”—she then applied the kohl to my eyes and continued—“I had never been a wife before. I was terrified about having children as well. And now,” she laughed softly, “I’m on my second. But I’m sure you will make a wonderful wife and mother and that you and Marcus will have a happy life.”

I still hadn’t told them that his name was Sanctius and that we were Christians. Our wedding would not be affected.

When Terentia was done, she pulled back and smiled. “You’re beautiful, Vespera.”

I smiled at her and at the fact I truly believed I was beautiful. “Thank you.” Suddenly, Terentia pulled me into her arms and hugged me tightly.

“I love you, my dear sister. Today will be an amazing day for you.”

There was a knock on the door then, and Ignatius cracked it open. “Hello my lovely sisters, may I come in?”

Terentia pulled away and I gestured for him to enter. “Of course,” I grinned. He came over and sat down next to me, examining Terentia’s handiwork.

“You look amazing,” he said gently. “Marcus is lucky to have you.”

I beamed. “Thank you.” Then I leaned in and gave him a look. “You’re next.”

He shook his head, chuckling. “Dammit, Vespera,” he laughed. Then he looked at Terentia. “Can I speak to her privately?”

She nodded. “Of course.” She stood and gracefully walked out of the room. Ignatius transformed then, his laughing smile melting away to a look of concern. He took my hand and we went to sit on my bed.

“What’s wrong, Ignatius?” I asked once we had sat down. “You’re worrying me.”

He sighed and played with the hem of his toga. “I’m just going to miss my baby sister.”

I frowned, not believing him. “Come on. You weren’t this upset when Terentia left. What’s the real reason?”

He stared at me with his eyes full of worry. “I’m just scared something will happen to you. Because I might not be there to protect you.”