Chapter Thirty-Seven: An Hour of Need

Vespera

It was now late. Sanctius was sleeping after I had stitched his wounds, and Decimus and I were talking at one of the tables. Antonia had let me borrow a pale purple dress, insisting the rags I had been wearing were unsuitable for a woman of my standard (I thought the rags were unsuitable for anyone, regardless of their status). I was wearing that dress now as I spoke with Decimus, whilePhae, Maria, and Antonia had gone to bed.

"Decimus," I said softly. I gazed at the lone candle we had lit in prayer. "If you hadn't known that the city was on fire, why was the tavern closed?"

"Soldiers have been passing back and forth," he answered, "making arrests. The crime, of course, being Christianity. So we closed." He looked so sad, and I took his hand.

"God will get us through this," I said, and offered him a smile. "He's saved us before."

He frowned. "Do you think we're safe here? From the fire?"

"From the fire? Most likely," I replied. "I'm sure it'll be put out soon. But then, people will be looking for someone to blame, and I don't think we'll want to be there when the accusations start."

"No, of course not." Decimus sighed and glanced to the door. His eyes were so full of concern, but when he turned back to me, he placed his other hand on top of mine. "Are you all right? Were you hurt?"

"I'm fine," I said. "Sanctius fared worse than I did."

"My poor brother," he whispered. "What happened? What's been going on?"

I filled him in on the past five weeks. I couldn't give him details on what had happened with Sanctius—he hadn't mentioned what had happened. But Nero had called him his gladiator, so I could guess. And the marks on his skin were from weapons and animals, no doubt. Decimus's jaw was clenching and unclenching, and then he wiped his eyes before he could shed any tears.

"That's not fair," he muttered. I shook my head and absently put my hand on my stomach.

"No, it's not," I agreed. "Poor Sanctius has been through so much."

He brushed his hands through his hair. "Yeah. But I'm glad he at least has you."

I paused. "It won't be just me for too long," I said softly. He looked up at me immediately and a smile broke his solemn look.

"You're not—"

I smiled back. "I am," I said. He stood up abruptly, his chair falling over, and he pulled me up with him.

"You're with child!" He held my hands out and stared at my stomach, even though I wasn't showing yet. "A light of hope in the darkness!" He brought me in for a hug. I was startled at first—Decimus hadn't taken kindly to me in the beginning, but now he was my brother too, sharing in my misery and joy. When he let go, he kissed my forehead.

"You're going to be an uncle," I laughed softly.

"I'm going to be an uncle!" He was grinning from ear to ear, and my heart sank a little. My brother was going to be an uncle too, but he probably didn't even know I was alive. At some point, I had to return to my family, if only for an hour, to tell them I was okay. "I'm so happy for you and Sanctius," Decimus said warmly.

"Thank you." I gave him a smile and he returned it.

"Well," he said, "I think I'm going to go to bed now. When you wish to retire, you may use my bed. That way, if Sanctius needs something, you'll be right there."