Chapter Sixteen: Tied and Tangled

Sanctius

I didn’t care about the rain. I didn’t care that the mud that got in my sandals. I didn’t care that my cloak getting soaked through to my tunic and then to my skin. I didn’t even care that there was nobody out and that I had to walk the hour back home. My heart was still hammering in my chest, and I’m pretty sure that my face was flushed, though I was not in a daze. I was very much awake and in tune to everything that was going on around me and everything that had just happened with Vespera.

There was no way I could be so lucky. No way that she could kiss me without fear, knowing what I was. Had it been anyone else… I shuddered.

But her body pressing against mine, her hands grasping my shoulders, her lips moving against mine… I had no idea of the ecstasy I would feel. I wanted to do that again.

I returned home dripping. I was very careful not to leave too much of a trail of water as I made my way to my room, and I opened the door quietly, untying my sandals and shrugging off my cloak. I laid it out on the floor so that it would dry, and after I took off my tunic and changed into a sleeping kilt, I slipped into my bed and pulled the covers over myself tightly. I was cold and very, very awake. I kept running tonight through my head over and over, partially in disbelief, and partially in the clouds. Thunder rolled overhead as it rained, and I felt emotion awakening within me with every clap. Everything I had felt through all my life—I felt like I had muted all the emotions. There had always been the steady anger and sadness…but I felt like a joy had awakened inside of me. And with that, a new fear.

I took deep breaths, trying to steady my heart. I placed my hand on my chest, feeling my cold skin and my fast pulse. As I closed my eyes, I slowed my breathing to match Decimus’s.

I don’t remember when, but eventually I did fall asleep.

The next morning, it was still storming, which meant it would probably be a slow day for the tavern. I felt excited though, and for a moment I couldn’t remember why, until I thought about kissing Vespera.

I got up and put on a tunic, when Decimus opened the door. He seemed surprised.

“Finally you’ve awakened,” he said. I nodded.

“I went to sleep late.”

Decimus entered and closed the door with a concerned look on his face. “What time did you return last night?” he asked.

“Late,” I muttered.

“What were you two doing?”

I hated the implications of this question, and I’m sure I blushed. “Nothing shameful,” I said.

“Are you feeling guilty?”

“No,” I muttered, turning away. Decimus came and turned me around roughly.

“What were you two doing?” he demanded.

“Nothing, Decimus,” I stated adamantly.

“Did you—”

“I kissed her,” I blurted. “That’s it! We kissed.”

Decimus stared at me, hard. “Need I remind you that you are a plebeian Christian and that she is a traditional patrician, and the moment she finds out what you are—”

“I told her,” I said softly. “I told her everything about me.”

“You what?” he roared. He grabbed me by the collar of my tunic, livid. His face was a breath from mine. “You told her what?